1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Cake Wars Continue: Pro-Traditional Marriage Cakes Refused

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MintberryCrunch, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So as LGBT people, we all know the most pressing issue in our society today is what has been dubbed the "Cake Wars", i.e. the refusal of Christian bakeries to make cakes for same-sex weddings.

A right-wing activist attempted the opposite recently: to ask notable pro-gay bakeries to make a cake that says "gay marriage is wrong" on it. All the bakeries he called refused, some got angry, and he used to illustrate the hypocrisy and hatred perpetrated by the LGBT community.

Right-Wing Extremist Asks Gay Bakeries to Make Hate Cake In A Failed Attempt to Highlight Hypocrisy: VIDEO | Gay News | Towleroad

The main flaw in the plan however is that "gay marriage is wrong" being printed on a cake is a stark contrast to simply making a cake that will be used in a same-sex wedding.

But what say you? Should the "gay bakeries" have made the hate cake?

2. Why would they even ask a bakery that supports gay marriage to make a cake saying "gay marriage is wrong" anyway?

3. Gen

Gen

Discrimination is the denying of opportunities or rights based on prejudice.

Bakeries can refuse to make cakes of certain colors, flavors, or styles as long as those cakes are denied to all customers. They did not refuse this man service; they only said that they would make the cake without including writing that they are not comfortable with. They could refuse to write Happy Birthday on their cakes if this pleased; as long as they refuse it to call customers, it is well within their rights.

4. edgy

edgy Guest

Exactly, why use the service of a company in a way that you know will fuck with their beliefs.

The "gay" bakeries didn't even need to give this guy their time

This reminds me of Hands On Originals

#4 edgy, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  5. photoguy93

Well.... I guess I am weird because I think it is kind of hypocritical of us. I don't like the use of "wrong," but to some that is a truth.

I think the message to take from this is that our community has to take time and make sure we aren't going a bit too far.

Also, I'll add - by no means am I justying this person. I just come from a conservative area and know this would definitely be an issue and I could almost see the "hypocritical gay" shit being thrown around.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. Nobody was discriminated against here.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

While I can see why this would be annoying, there is one benefit here.

If somebody wants to have a preference for the types of customers they serve, that just leaves an entire demographic to cater to, for somebody else with an opportunistic drive.

If somebody is that asinine to want something, hurtful or petty on a cake, so be it. You can have that cake, I'll just take my money off your ignorant self; and you enjoy revealing how ridiculous you are to the world.

But first, I'll have to become a master baker... curses~!

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't believe I sat through that garbage, I feel sick... What a disgusting moronic troll...

Me though? I'd play dirty~ I'd take his cake order and write it on a penis shaped cake~ :grin:

9. Aldrick

We are not. In most cases, we do not go far enough.

It is not hypocritical. Hypocrisy: "the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do." We said that bakeries had to serve everyone in the general public, and could not refuse to make a wedding cake for queer couples. In order for there to be hypocrisy, one of the bakeries he called would have had to have supported action against one of the bakeries that refused to make cakes for gay couples. Then THEY would have to be caught refusing to make wedding cakes for gay couples. That would make them hypocrites. That is what hypocrisy is: telling people they should do one thing (serve LGBT people) and then doing the exact opposite (refusing to serve LGBT people).

You MIGHT get something approximating hypocrisy if one of the bakeries had refused to make a wedding cake for a straight wedding, on the basis that they were opposed to straight marriages. You might be able to make a reasonable case there, even though it technically would not be hypocrisy by definition, it would be damn close enough to count.

Asking a bakery to make a cake with hate speech on it is not even similar to what is being asked by gay couples of anti-gay bakeries. In order for there to be hypocrisy involved here, the bakeries in question would have to refuse to make this bigoted straight guys cake, and then turn around and make a bigoted "gay / straight marriage is wrong" cake instead for gay people.

The reason bigots FEEL like it is hypocrisy is because they FEEL like their religious rights (AKA their right to discriminate against gay people) is being trampled upon. So, from their perspective they are looking at the situation as: "Ah ha! You force people of my religion to do things against their religion, but when it comes to your (super faggot loving) religion you will not play by the same rules!"

The reality is we are doing nothing of the sort. No one is trampling on their religious freedom. No one is telling them that they cannot post "God Hates Fags" signs in their windows. No one is telling them that they cannot tell gay customers that they are going to burn in hell for their sexual sins. No one is telling them that they cannot minister to gay customers who enter their store. No one is impeding their religious faith at all, because they can do all those things and more. What we are saying is that, as a business that serves the general public, you cannot discriminate against an entire group of people by refusing them service just on the basis that you do not like them.

This is done in the defense of a pluralistic society. The same defense and protections exist to protect people based on a host of other traits all around the country: race, gender, disability, political affiliation, and yes--even religion. That is it. If you want to live in a pluralistic society, then you have to protect the right of minorities to have the same access to the market place and other opportunities as the majority.

10. iiimee

I actaully read something about this yesterday! I mean, is it WRONG to refuse to be hateful? This guy needs some help if he thinks so...

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's the obligation of same-sex couples to just go somewhere else when someone doesn't feel comfortable with a same-sex wedding cake. It's kind of like asking a Jewish person to deal with pork, or a Hindu person to prepare a beef steak. That one bakery in Oregon got sued for $150,000. It's insane the extent people would go to just so they can get a wedding cake from a homophobic bakery. It also really doesn't make any sense that you would want to go to that kind of bakery.

Now, don't get me wrong. This is entirely different compared to banning gay people entering restaurants. Unlike wedding cakes, other businesses don't really involve religious beliefs being put in place. Nobody's right is being infringed upon when they serve a same-sex couple at a restaurant, but it's just not good to force people to make something that their religion is against.

12. Aldrick

How is it any different? You are overlooking the creative nature of our enemies. Two recently married gay men in a small town can go to the only local grocery store, and face the refusal of service there. The reason? They came in together and the manager saw them. He then defends his decision by saying, "A lot of children come into our store. That was my primary concern. According to my religion, what they are doing is sinful--they are abominations before the eyes of God. I had to act to protect the children from seeing their sinful lifestyle put on display for all to see publicly, so I asked them to leave."

It is no different than refusing a Wedding Cake. You cannot say one business can discriminate but the other cannot. You then have the problem of situational ethics. This is bad if your goal is (as mine is) to say: "It is unethical for a business to discriminate against people for arbitrary reasons. It is wrong for a Muslim business to refuse to serve a Jew. It is wrong for a business owned by someone who is white to refuse to serve someone who is Black. It is wrong for a business owned by a Man to refuse to serve or cater to Women. It is wrong for a business owned by a Christian to refuse to serve someone who is gay. When a business agrees to serve the general public, it is agreeing to serve all of the public, not just certain segments of that public."

Your comparison to Jewish and Hindu businesses is not the same. They are not engaged in discrimination because they refuse to sell pork and beef to EVERYONE. It is like going to a shoe store, finding that they do not have the shoes you want in stock, and then crying that they are discriminating against you. They aren't discriminating, simply because they do not have what you want there to sell you. For your comparison to work, the Jewish and Hindu businesses would have to be completely happy to sell pork and beef to everyone... except Jews and Hindus. In other words, a Jewish butcher would have to be perfectly happy to sell pork to a Christian, but when a Jew shows up to buy it--he would have to be refused service. The Jewish person may have a very good religious reason: "Hey, look. The Christians do not have any religious reason NOT to buy pork. That is why I sell it--the pork is for them. However, I believe it is wrong for Jews to abandon our heritage and traditions, and therefore I believe it is wrong to sell another Jew pork. They are lucky that I let them come into my store at all!"

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I was going to buy a cake for a same sex wedding and the owner refused, or if I thought the baker was homophobic, I don't think I'd want that baker to make me a cake anyway. I wouldn't be able to trust eating it.

14. RainDreamer

I am not sure if this is called a pro-traditional marriage cakes.
    I mean, if people just want to make cakes about their wedding, I don't see any damn reasons to refuse it. But this is just telling people to write hateful things on cakes. This has nothing to do with marriage.

If you are ordering a cake at the particular store, and you request the store to write horrible things about themselves, I am very sure they would refuse that.

15. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pfft. That, madam, is genius.

16. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Who writes on a wedding cake anyways? I've never seen such a tasteless thing.