1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Markus Kaarma guilty of German student's homicide

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's rare that Montana ever has good news related to human rights, but this is one of those times. The vicious dog Markus Kaarma has been convicted of deliberate homicide in the killing of German exchange student Diren Dede.

By way of background, Diren was a high school student at Hellgate High School in Missoula, Montana. He was apparently "garage surfing," which means attempting to break into people's garages to steal stuff. Pretty dumb, delinquent teenage activity. At any rate, Kaarma, who felt that the Missoula police weren't doing enough to stem the problem, left his garage door open, enticing objects out on a table in plain view, and a baby monitor out so he could see anyone coming.

When Diren Dede came, he (under what he supposed was the protection of 45-3-103) fired upon Dede twice, ultimately killing him.

The issue is not in any way complicated by the fact that Dede was in the process of stealing, as 45-3-103 is not "castle doctrine" and does not create a license to kill anyone who is merely trespassing.

I am thinking I will treat myself to dinner over this. ^_^

2. shinji

shinji Guest

There was a similar story in my country not too long ago. Basically this guy went to steal stuff but got injured and then sued the owner of the house he was robbing. Obviously not as tragic as the OP but still... It's weird when you constantly have to live in fear, when the police doesn't do anything and when the law is only there to stop you from protecting yourself. Not saying that what this guy did was right, but if he didn't premeditate the whole thing and acted out of genuine fear for his own life, would they have still convicted him? US law confuses me sometimes...

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In regard to the bolded part, in my state it probably would never have even gone to trial, the grand jury probably would've returned a "no bill" meaning no indictment, making it justifiable homicide. This guy however wasn't shooting out of any concerns for self defense, based on the evidence.

4. Candace

Did he really have to kill someone? Couldn't scaring him off with like a bat or something suffice just as much? :dry: Sheesh...