1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Maybe learning self-defense would be a good idea.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Damien, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The suburb mentioned in this article is regarded as one of Melbourne's more 'lgbt-friendly' suburbs. So if two gay men can't even safely walk down the street there, then despite the general increase in acceptance of lgbt folks, there still seem to be enough ignorant, moronic thugs around to make it unsafe for gay folks to walk out on the streets, or so it would appear to me. I think it's time to do another 'street-fighting' course because much as I dislike violence, if I were ever attacked in this way, I would want to be able to defend against it. :frowning2:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always.

I'm glad I'm a black belt in Shotokan karate.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aaaaannd, this why I'm starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in January...

Also, as I've said before, and because it cannot be said enough, "sexism, homophobia, and transphobia will never end until they are unsafe."

#3 Pret Allez, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yea, I'm planning on furthering my lessons in Tang Soo Do. I currently am taking a class in school for martial arts, but I think it's a good idea to expand my skills outside of school.

It's sad that one must feel the need to learn self defense skills just to feel safe.

5. Gallatin

I never think it's a bad thing to learn a thing or two about defending oneself, especially when it comes to LGBT folks doing so. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people out there who would want to do us harm if the opportunity presented itself, and sometimes knowing some self-defense can be the difference in at least staving off the attacker long enough to get away and get help.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

Yeah, self-defense is a great thing for anyone to learn, especially if they belong to a group that could be easily agressed. Ex. women, LGBT people, etc.

Last week my friend was teaching me how to throw a punch and he accidentally knocked the wind out of me lol made me realize how easily my ass can get kicked.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

On one hand, I don't want to be attacked...

... but on the other, I'm very curious how I'd fare, considering I have a semi-style of fighting. No formal training, just something I kind of do on my own, when I'm hitting the sand bags.

Of course, if a professional fighter attacks me, then, I'd probably be outmatched. Still, I'd be curious how well I did.

Self-defense is good to know, period. LGBT or not, there's always the chance somebody might go too far, or somebody else may need help.

8. Sam I Am

I have found ju jitsu invaluable for self-defense. So far, krav maga hasn't been as useful. Ju jitsu is nice because it teaches how to deflect or escape people without using an escalation of force.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, I think it is definitely a good thing to learn. It needs to be strictly defensive, i.e. no chasing after someone who looks at you funny because you're holding your boyfriend's hand.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need to get a sharpened katana soon... Then I'll be like (warning: graphic violence): [youtube]11mmC3vnjj4[/youtube]