1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know anything about prop 9?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by McBenz, Oct 23, 2008.

1. McBenz

I may sound stupid, but i was talkin to my parents about this Prop. 9 thing. And i was curious if anyone knew any details on it. And what are the chances it would pass?

Thanx guys!

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

2. biisme

this one? :

"Summary: Would amend the constitution to require that crime victims be notified and have input on phases of the criminal justice process, including bail, pleas, sentencing and parole."

http://www.votenoprop9.com/sb_100908.html

3. Bunny

Are you sure you don't mean Prop 8?

4. McBenz

oh wow! yeah that's it...i feel really stupid now. my dad said it was prop. 9. Urgh...so yeah, does anyone know anything about prop. 8? lmao

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do we know about it?

I can see you haven't been here long.

Yes, we know about it. Prop 8 is a measure on the Nov. 4th ballot in California that would legally define marriage as between a man and woman, effectively banning the same-sex marriage that California was given so recently. Yes on 8 is the campaign that supports the ban on same-sex marriage, and No on 8 opposes the measure. As you could probably guess, all but one or two of us are against Proposition 8.

Right now, Yes on 8 has raised more money and spent more on advertising, but No on 8 seems to have a bigger crowd. No one can really predict how it will turn out, but some people are getting married sooner rather than later in case it does pass. Meaning that few people are really confident it will be defeated.

Gov. Arnold, despite being one of three Republicans in California, has said that he opposes any form of discrimination and thus will vote No on the measure. He doesn't necessarily support same-sex marriage, but he opposes legal discrimination even more.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So what did your parents have to say about it? I'm curious. :slight_smile:

7. McBenz

yeah i'm pretty new lol :wink:
    but yeah ok thanx! i really hope that it doesnt pass. that would be awful!

umm my parents are totally against it. i was talkin about Ellen's and Portia's wedding and how i thought it was such a pretty wedding and how they are such a cute couple. My dad said they might be screwed in a little while and i asked why. He told me a little bit about it (even though he told me it was prop. 9 lol).

We weren't sure if that would effect people who had already gotten married. but from what you said it look like it wouldn't.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I don't think any marriages will be revoked, it will only prevent any future marriages until another movement to legalize same-sex marriage.

9. McBenz

ok that is good at least! i just don't see what people have against gay marriage! it doesnt affect you so just stay out of other people's sex lives! idk. i know it goes against religion or whatever but sometimes it really ticks me off how mean people can get

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The most popular Yes on 8 slogan I hear is that same-sex marriage would undermine the "traditional definition of marriage". Of course, since they're voting to define marriage, that means it hasn't been legally defined yet, ignoring the obviously ridiculous adherence to tradition solely for tradition's sake. Some people are actually afraid that the school systems would be forced to teach their children about homosexuality if the bill doesn't pass, which is absolutely absurd. Homosexuality is as real as non-white races and non-Christian religions, and most schools in California already have comprehensive anti-discrimination policies based on sexuality. Various teachers across the state have said that no one told them to teach about same-sex marriage, and that they wouldn't be forced to regardless of how the bill turns out.