1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Saks Claims a Legal Right to Discriminate Against Trans Employees

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jan 9, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Aldrick

It actually gets worse in the second paragraph, as if that were possible...

It's not bad enough that they have to argue that they have the right to discriminate, but they also effectively refuse to recognize her identity all together. It is so egregiously disgusting that I just... can't. Even if they settle out of court, giving her millions of dollars, and apologize endlessly--I do not think I could ever overlook this.

The only hope I think they have at this point is to try and redeem themselves by throwing their lawyers under the bus, settling out of court and giving her a huge settlement, offering a massive heartfelt public apology, and then making a massive donation to a trans* exclusive advocacy group. Finally, the CEO should step down within the year, and there should be an order made to have all employees be required to attend trans* specific diversity training. For me, this is the only thing this company can do to redeem itself at this point.

3. Quiet Raven

I do hope you mean inclusive, lol.

But yeah. That is pretty bad... I never shopped at saks before. (I'm not even sure if there are any around me) but this is a pretty good reason for me to not want to give them business.

4. Aldrick

:lol:

That is such a horrible typo. At the time I was typing it I was thinking about the HRC, which is why I specifically wanted to note a trans* INCLUSIVE advocacy group. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I did not want them to simply throw money at the HRC, and pretend like it actually helped--that would only be a further slap to the face.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope the news of this spreads, and hurts them. A lot of affluent liberals shop there, especially in the NE/NY.

Are there any boycotts afoot?

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The HRC actually had rated Saks poorly but then suspended their rating because discriminating against trans. people is legal in TX. It makes zero sense, and they lost a lot of points with me.

7. Gallatin

Wow. Well, I never really planned to shop at Saks (not even sure if there's one near me) but now I'll make a point not to if I ever did have the opportunity. Bad enough to fight her lawsuit but to do it in such a reprehensible manner... Horrible.

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I should be thankful I haven't heard of them before? Someone enlighten me? What a name for a store too :lol:

9. AlamoCity

I sometimes like Saks Off 5th, but might have to really reconsider. It's not like I really spend much anyway. My dad, though, really likes ties and such from there.

Hope this becomes a PR nightmare.

10. RainDreamer

This is a case that no PR agency would ever want to touch, no matter how much money they pay. They dug themselves a reaaallly deep hole this time. At best you can just play the blind card, settle this out of court if possible, then ignore things till it blow through. But likely this will get problematic.

I wonder what the hell their legal department was thinking.

Though I think they deserve this. Should have protected their employee.

11. antibinary

I hope their PR just dies.