1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Terrorist Attacks in Nigeria

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Minnie, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Minnie

Overshadowed by the recent events in France, a series of attacks in Nigeria by terrorist group Boko Haram has claimed the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, since the new year. I wasn't aware of any of these until after the shootings in Paris (admittedly I don't check the news as often as I should), but the attacks in Africa did not even make headlines on the BBC.

Boko Haram killed hundreds in Nigeria terror attacks, local officials say - Africa - Stripes

Amnesty: Nigeria Massacre Deadliest In History Of Boko Haram

Boko Haram's Deadliest Terrorist Attack Yet - Business Insider

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

Nigeria's forgotten massacre: 2,000 slaughtered by Boko Haram, but the West is failing to help - Africa - World - The Independent

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 03:49 PM ----------

Amnesty International Says Boko Haram Kills Thousands in Nigeria's Baga Town - The Atlantic

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

If you'd clicked BBC News - Africa you would have seen all of it reported. Yes France was headline news and not surprisingly, that's not to take anything away from the tragedy over there but we had a major terrorist attack in the capital city of a Western nation that is right next door to us. It's obvious it would have been bigger news than anything else.

As I said it takes nothing away from the African tragedy, but the same can be said of many, many things, there is a lot of very bad stuff going on around the world. Syria, Iraq, N.Korea etc etc

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was actually talking to my step-dad about this. I'm quite baffled at why the Paris attacks are getting much more media attention than all the attacks on Nigerian villages. I'm glad that everyone is so rallied up against extremist terrorist groups, but I feel like more attention can be put to this.

It's tragic what is happening in Nigeria.

4. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

It's really, really not hard to see why the terrorist attack in France went straight to the top of the headlines.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I didn't see much coverage, and you have to specifically choose BBC Africa to get the information. Very sad that the Nigerian army is so incompetent.

6. RainDreamer

This has actually been reported before the Paris attack. But as always, people are not going to talk much about a country they can't even point out on the globe comparing to something happened in their backyard.

Horrible things happen everywhere, and I hate it.

7. ZenMusic

My dad is very quick to point out the flaws of the Western world, but when things are happening in his home country he either downplays them or glosses over them completely. A shame that part of my heritage is home to people who not only choose irrationality over education, but make that decision for others, in this case, death.