1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Penn State football wins reinstated

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jan 16, 2015.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Proposed deal would restore wins for Penn State, Joe Paterno | Local News - Home

Today, Pennsylvania state officials announced they'd worked out a deal with the NCAA about sanctions imposed in 2012 after the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal that would allow Penn State to claim the 112 wins they were forced to vacate for some reason between 1998 and 2011.

Penn State agreed to the sanctions which Pennsylvania lawmakers called overly harsh in the lawsuit that was settled out of court today in order to avoid what's colloquially known as the Death Penalty in college sports-a ban on the university competing in that sport for two years or more. This penalty has been handed down only once in the history of college football: Southern Methodist got caught paying their players back in 1987. Penn State is still on probation and was disqualified from playing in a bowl game for three seasons.

The university has been punished, and personally I'm glad that Joe Paterno's legacy has been restored, as this scandal was the fault of the Penn State administration. I never got the whole point of forfeiting the wins, as you can't change the fact that those games were played and victories recorded.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a numbers thing and nothing more. What was earned has been earned. We can't change that, so I agree with you on that part.

As for Joe Paterno, I never gave a shit about him and, after the Sandusky story broke, he disgusted me. *envisioning man with a broom, sweeping stuff under the rug*

He was practically sainted in that part of the country, which also disgusted me, even before the scandal broke. I am glad his image was removed from that campus mural.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought that the loss of wins was a really dumb thing, so I am glad that it is possibly being reversed. Other sanctions had much more of an effect than this.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :tantrum:

Penn State used this scandal to get rid of Paterno. He heard about what Mike McQueary had seen and told the administration what he'd heard. The administration were the ones that decided to cover the whole thing up

There had been a growing desire in the Penn State football world for a change in leadership, and the second that story broke, Paterno was fired and the boosters/donors were satisfied.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think Paterno was innocent in the whole thing, but he was far from the ring leader. Would I have vacated the wins? No. I think restoring them and the restrictions imposed(i.e. no bowls and scholarship cuts) were fair.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I may be wrong, then. And you may be right. That whole story sickens me, though ... the thought of a right hand type man (Sandusky) continuing on for years in a prominent and visible role doing what he was doing.

I think I was referring to the time when he could do no wrong. It just bothered me that Penn State has always been lauded for football more than academics.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Paterno definitely wasn't innocent in this, but stripping all of his wins from the time the abuse started on was a bit extreme, and partly the reason many don't take the NCAA seriously anymore.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it hard to believe Paterno wasn't aware of what was going on, but regardless it's the players that win the game anyway.