1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News THe current Pope is as much a fool as the last

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gazwkd, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

To be fair this one had a couple of moments when LGBT's thought we might have an ok Pope.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He'll never be as evil as Joe Ratzinger though. :3

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, religion...

5. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I simply cannot take religious people seriously. Especially when they try to enforce their beliefs onto others and in turn use them to harm those who will not follow suite. I question why the church, as an institution, still exists in the first place.

6. WearyWanderer

Meh. Despite this, I am actually rather fond of him.

7. DoriaN

"For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet"

Just another in the dynasty of antichrists. No surprise here.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He is much better compared to other popes. He has tried making it so the church is more accepting to gays, and he has even said the church can support civil unions. He really can't come out in support of same-sex marriage because it does technically go against his church's views, but he has done a lot to try to improve how the church treats LGBT people.

Just so you know, he never actually "supported" same-sex marriage, so this is really nothing new.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say all of these are fairly accurate observations. You can't single-handedly go against long established religious dogma and keep your job, let alone be recommended for it.

10. SkyDiver

Notice how he never specifically mentioned same-sex marriage... sure, we all know that he's referring to it, but this still shows his effort to remain in the middle.

I still love him, even if some of his views are from the dark ages.

11. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I disagree, he's the Pope, as far as I'm aware he cannot be sacked. Just because something has been done for an age does not mean it cannot change or that change should take decades.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It doesn't change the fact that he's been a lot more progressive than other popes. Again, he never supported same-sex marriage, so this really isn't a big deal.

13. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Completely disagree, the head of the Catholic Church who millions upon millions of people follow comes out with anti-gay rhetoric is a big deal, it's a huge deal.

He can do it a thousand times and it's still a big deal.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So much for the "Who am I to judge" rhetoric he said over the past two years. I never expected this Pope to support same sex marriage, but to say something disfigured God's plan is pretty strong rhetoric, and something that would make me think hard about being gay and Catholic as him with our leader. Don't get me wrong, he is still much better than his predecessors, but it's baby steps with the Catholic Church.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Slow down, guys. The thing is you don't know how the Pope REALLY feels about it. He has a job to do. The Vatican is very political. Don't forget that. For that matter, you don't know how Obama and Clinton REALLY feel about same-sex marriage. They may not really care one way or the other because it doesn't affect them but are picking it for a platform. This isn't conspiracy theory thinking or anything. It's reality. I've discussed this with some friends. If Obama hadn't taken the social stances he did to differentiate himself from Romney, he might have jettisoned his chances for the White House and we'd have some really scary people in Washington DC. I'm not fooled into binary thinking that being a Democrat and being a fervent advocator of LGBT rights come in the same package. So, then, back to the Pope, he may just want to get the LGBT segment of the church back in church and be treated better and with more respect, but without necessarily changing some of their more basic rules and viewpoints. Some churches do have LGBT congregations that happily go to church without having the marriage option. I don't like going to any type of church any more, so I don't pay much attention to the Pope's latest pontifications. I just learned of this one here.

16. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Whilst your point is fair. It's still a big deal as I have already said, what he says has ramifications around the world - nothing the church does affects me personally but I know it has an effect on a lot of others over the globe.

17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    But even then, he's still done better than other popes. He may be against same-sex marriage, but he's been pushing the Catholic church to be more accepting to gays. That has to stand for at least something. I know where you're coming from, and it does have a slight negative impact. However, I do think he's taking steps in the right direction, even if there's a few steps back.

18. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

That's the thing I don't think it's 'slight' at all certainly in relation to Africa where the church has an iron grip - it's already pretty bad over there for our LGBT brethren and this stuff will just add fuel to the fire :icon_sad:

If he is as progressive as people make him out to be then it would have made more sense to not come out spreading anti-gay rhetoric, just to have not made a statement on it at all. Otherwise he's just pandering to the homophobes within the church and pandering to them is as bad as being one. It just really, really saddens me - I know how easy I have it in the UK and how drastic the situation is in other parts of the world.

19. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

This is the least surprising thing I've read all day.

I think people around the world will continue to hate on just fine regardless of what the Poop has to say on the matter.