1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The isolated lives of North Dakota's gay oil field workers

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by resu, Jan 30, 2015.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Having worked in that state in a field closely related, I can assure you, it's not for the meek. I have not often seen a bigger bunch of highly paid, dirty, homophobic assholes in my life. It proves money can't buy class.

That was one place I kept to myself what others didn't need to know.

3. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the article though. It's a tough place for some folks.

4. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really great article. I love the guy's reaction to the drunk calling him a slur. :lol:

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can imagine. I felt protected in my suburban Oklahoma school where there were enough diverseity at least in the honors classes. Recently, I posted a video of myself doing some traditional archery at a local state archery group, but I was immediately attacked by rednecks who called me gay (lol). Then, I eventually was defended by nicer guys who proceeded to call the rednecks also gay slurs... I just left things like that.

6. DoriaN

I work in the trades, and yeah it's a hyper masculine environment. Any deviation will either out you, or automatically label you as queer. I personally am in a lot of fear of going back to work this March, staying closeted if able to 110% the best option if able. Tradesmen can be cruel, and when they're away from loved ones, have had multiple divorces, huge bills, and are constantly pissed off about life or their jobs; it's easy for them to deviate their misery to innocents.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With possible exception to the rural Deep South - about as close to a living Hell as you can get in the United States. And I speak from personal experience.

#7 Browncoat, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I fully agree. I wish you all the best when you do return to that. I was quite fortunate to have had a fairly consistent group of coworkers that I worked with over the years on different projects, and we were like family. They had my back.

9. MisterTinkles

One of the problems of "keeping your job", is that it IS against the law for them to fire you for being gay, if you are in the US......company backed or not.

The problem is..........you might get fired for being suspected as "gay", but you will have to step in and get a lawyer to fight them for firing you for discrimination.......and then you have just made it clear to them, by doing that.

So, you get fired, you just go on to the next company, and the next, and the next...

People seem to think it's easier in the cities for some reason. Well, they are fukked in the head if they think that. SO much bigotry and prejudice exists in the workplace. You just don't see it because you are either used to it, or you refuse to see it.

I've heard similar stories about Alaskan oil rig/pipeline workers, as well as fishermen.
    Just because it's a "boony" job, doesn't mean there's any different treatment from other employers across the country. Sure, the outcomes might mean a punch in the face, but in the cities you have gunshots to the face, as well as harassment, backstabbing, underhanded tactics, and purposely holding someone back in their jobs.

An oil field worker can feel just as alone and unwanted as I do......living in a big city, working at a big company, in an office job. It's not the place you are in, it is the place you are at in yourself.

I have gone to bars and clubs and felt even more alone than I do sitting by myself in my apartment.

Looking for sex is one thing............

Looking for a life with someone is totally different.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, sadly, is not true. It is only illegal to fire someone for being gay in the states of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I thought too when I read that. Did they pass ENDA and I didn't hear about it?

12. Drew55

I have asked this of myself many times. Often said of women who frequent a dive wearing a mini skirt and no bra that she is telling everyone she is available. Deeds and action speak louder than words. Are you telling anyone you are gay? Yes you have the right to express yourself with a Pride T-shirt, but the effects of wearing one in a bar in a North Dakota oil town even today would not fare well for you in many circumstances. Yes it is sad but please tell me why one would antagonize the less intelligent to prove a point. It’s like arguing with a drunk.

The next issue, working in a remote location: I have deployed and worked as an Expat all over the world and did a few years on the north slope. The focus should be work. And yes, there are those who struggled with the third grade for seven years making $90/hour and have the associated societal skills necessary of eating raw meat.

Many years ago when I was a very young soldier, the military issued a written order demanding an end to discrimination by race. The effect was to push personal feelings and prejudices underground. For another 30 years the military is still dealing with race issues, albeit a lot less and more isolated.

The issuance of a decree or establishment of a new law that says you will like all people, especially the purple ones is not the answer. Sorry to tinkle on everyone’s parade but Walt Disney lied, not every story has a happy ending. It takes generations to dispel hatred and bigotry.

13. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No, ENDA never did pass, The states listed above have anti-discrimination laws.

14. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting that in Nevada, you need not give a reason when firing someone. Not sure about the other states listed.

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most states, no reason technically is required when firing someone, however if the employer chooses not to, it tends to open it up to the terminated employee providing one....