1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prop 8 protest

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by crimsonarcher, Nov 2, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

well, me and two of my friends went to a protest in Sacramento, or Elk grove, yesterday, for no on 8. It was soo awesome! Since we were at an intersection, we went in a square, crossing steeets, waving signs and whatnot. Of course, a lot of "yes" people came, swarming. There was a lot of honking for both sides, and I got the middle finger quite a few times as well. It was worth it, though.
    :grin:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It really does feel great to be involved in something like that. Good for you for going! :slight_smile:

3. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah they have a lot of videos on YouTube about it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gliXSxwsXg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rRtvQ9Arc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COWj7qU8VM[/YOUTUBE]

4. kristi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents live in Sacramento. When I first came out to them, 17 years ago, they freaked out, kicked me out of the family, it was awful. A lot has changed since then. We have a great relationship now, and they have been inviting my partner to family functions for years. When I asked my Mom yesterday how she was going to vote, she said "how can you even ask, of course we voted NO on Prop 8". People can change.

"Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for people who have been there." I consider myself a spiritual person, and the God of my understanding is a God that loves me and wants me to be happy. Some day, God willing, I'm going to find a wonderful woman to settle down with and marry. I hope it's legal to do so when that day comes.

5. Amy

Amy

thats awesome!!!

4 of my friend started a counter protest yesterday. and it grew, and kept going after they left after 4 hours in the rain.

i want to do a rally! i think im just going to start one with my friends. just after school monday, start a protest. its what us liberals do.

the middle finger is my thing. call me a dyke and i call you an anti-american bigot and give you the finger. or fingers if i can.

6. Derek the Wolf

Great videos. I wish I lived in Cali, but if I had a rally here, people would be like WTF?

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Awesome videos! I got teary!

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I could never move to Cali just for the fun of it, but I wish I could drop in for a day to protest Prop 8.

9. Ronnie92

Great for you! and those videos are great as well, I just wish I wasn't all the way on the opposite end of the country so I could help

10. That was really cool and looked fun. :icon_mrgr

Hopefully it doesn't pass on Tuesday.

11. sdc91

Wow at that first video...

If my school did that, we'd have about 3 people.

12. ricoca

my school had a bake sale and also kind of an info thing on prop 8.
    kinda surprised how some people came up to us and said Yes on prop 8 when we clearly were against it.
    wish there are more rallies around here.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish i could go to a rally or something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but i did see a protest thingy once and it was awesome :slight_smile:

14. Seanboy23

'Archer, you are AWESOME! I live in Elk Grove, and my son and I drove through many intersections where people were gathered, and honked and waved to all the "NO" groups. Hey, I probably honked at YOU! That's CRAZY!!

My boyfriend, who's still at home, just called to tell me the "yes" peeps are already out and at it in force this morning. Too bad I have to work!!

Funny note regarding all this: my BF and I took my son to San Francisco yesterday to go shopping and to show him the Castro (he was curious about it). While we were there, he noticed how there were NO Yes on 8 signs ANYWHERE we went. And while we were walking on Castro Street, he said "Dad, everyone here seems so happy. This seems like a good, fun place. I can't find any reason for so many people to hate a bunch of guys who just happen to love each other."

Well put! And considering how much has been thrown at him in such a short amount of time, with his dad coming out and all, he seems pretty level-headed and smart about it all, especially the Prop 8 issue.

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I don't live in California I can't vote no on 8 but one of my good friends lives there and she's voting no on 8.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ahhh...........what a GREAT kid! :slight_smile: How old is he? Kids understand love so much better than adults.

By the way, the No on Prop 8 campaign needs a ton of volunteers right now. If you Californians have any free time, call them up to see what you can do. Even if you are not old enough to vote, there is still things you can do.

17. Seanboy23

Thanks Becky! My son is 14, and he's been extremely supportive of me and seems to be interested in the issues confronting the gay community.

AND YES, all the CA people, do whatever you can in the next 15 hours or so, and hey, even tomorrow, the polls are open all day! It will be SO awesome if someone posts a success story about changing someone's mind on Prop 8 at the last minute tomorrow!!!

18. that's awesome for you for going ^_^

I'm proud XD

19. Nodnarb

20. crimsonarcher

seanboy23, you probably did!
    hi!
    did you see a short guy, in blue, wearing a yellow poncho, holding a no on 8 sign? me?
    a tall redheaded guy and girl with a rainbow beanie?
    that was me!