1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Florida bill would jail trans* people for using "wrong bathroom"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by QueerTransEnby, Feb 6, 2015.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. ANewDawn

That's my home state, making me proud.

3. Quiet Raven

That's pretty harsh.

I guess this applies to people no matter how well they pass? No matter how long they have been on hormones or whatever? What if they had surgery and officially changed their sex on their Id?

Either way, it doesn't justify this. Just curious.

4. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is truly horrific. My mother found out about this before I did and went batshit insane. She made a huge FB post denouncing those who dare try to pass this law(using me as a reference on LGBT+ issues) and explaining that transgender people are the same as everyone else and deserve equal rights and freedoms guaranteed by law. Made me so proud. :slight_smile:

I hope to the fullest that this bill is shot down quickly.

5. iiimee

If this bill passes, I will only step into Florida again to protest the law itself. I do NOT want to go to a place where I can't even use the restroom I fit in! This is utter humiliation, as the article said. I'm going to tell my mom, see her reaction. Like me, she supports LGBT+

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since the states are having a hard time targeting LGB people, it seems that they have moved to trans people now. I hope that this bill does not pass. Some in other states have not passed, so that is a good sign.

7. ChameleonSoul

And just when I thought that Florida was starting to join the 21st century... :bang:

8. PossumJack

What is up with the conservatives' obsession with monitoring where our genitals are at all times?

Just let me piss in peace, dammit.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's messed up. That bill shall never live to see a day! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

10. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some "sit in" puns to be made but I am far to ladylike to go there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------------------------------

In all seriousness though this does make my blood boil and I'll certainly be joining some protests if this passes...

#10 Nekoko, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the part I really hate and have feared the most. No longer can states be fine with going after LGB people, even to the point of saying that they're asking for "Special rights" but when it comes to trans people, they know there's a loophole, that in legal text, trans people can't ask for non-discrimination in the same way LGB people can, because if they do, it will be asking for "special rights". And because of this, we'll have a long time trying to fight legal texts in order to be treated with decency and respect.

To add to this, there have been many scientific studies that have shown that being gay is not a choice, but very few about transpeople at all. That's a large reason why many liberals have a reason to respect LGB people. And because of that, we'll be losing the respect of many liberals who follow science, since there's almost no proof of transpeople (especially nonbinary people), since for all they know, we're just thinking this in our heads.

#11 Jinkies, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  12. CyberStar

I find their lack of decency... disturbing.

Who do these people think they are? I tell you, one of these days I'm gonna make a liberal version of the Tea Party. Maybe then we'll see some change.

13. 2112

Republicans, the supposed "party of freedom", continuing their nonstop attempt at legal discrimination. I'm not at all surprised.

14. DoriaN

Being trans should be recognized as a minority, but here we want to go backwards and outlaw? Just wth.

15. AlamoCity

Seeing that gay people aren't even considered a minority for legal purposes in the whole of the United States (and gay rights are always years ahead of trans rights), it doesn't surprise me if it'll be a decade or more till trans rights become more prevalent. While we may get gay marriage in June, I could still get fired in Texas for being "gay married." The next battle seems to be fighting gay discrimination and establishing sexual orientation as a protected class. We might be able to package gay and trans rights, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out, and whether the fight will follow the gay marriage pattern.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to say this bill won't pass, but it all depends on the job of the negative argument. Because you bet your ass those supporting the legislation will be coming out swinging with horror stories about creeps and predators rather than people trying to live their lives as free citizens.

17. andhow

This. I'm of that camp and I think there definitely needs to be more conclusive scientific evidence before people can jump on board. I mean you're fucking with rudimentary biology without having an iota of factual evidence? Proof positive is that it's all based on "feelings." If you went to your doctor and said I feel like I have a broken leg, give me opiates, they'd laugh you out of the room. Why is it acceptable to say you "feel" like a gender, and without any evidence of psyiological idiosyncracies, doctors can hop you up on hormones and do invasive surgeries? I mean shit, what the fuck is the point of a doctor anymore if we can just diagnose ourselves and prescribe the cure?

This convo has been beaten to death. Either unisex bathrooms for everyone, or stick to the bathroom matching your legal sex.

18. HelloSweetie

That's awful, I can barely believe it's real.

19. antibinary

To think I used to want to visit florida... Wait they're makinjg us use the wrong bathroom the hypocrites.

20. Images and Words

fucking bigoted arse-holes. why can't we just get along?