1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Rand Paul & Huckabee to appear in documentary featuring “ex-homosexuals”

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Feb 12, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, so here's where Rand Paul again shows his true colors: The same guy who thought it's OK for businesses to discriminate based on race, extends that position to the LGBT community.

Why are these so called 'Libertarians' so often willing to tolerate blatant bigotry while courting the zaniest people on the far-right lunatic fringe?

Mike Huckabee and Rand Paul to appear in documentary featuring “ex-homosexuals” - Salon.com

"Potential 2016 candidates make appearances in film that presents LGBT rights as threat to Christianity"

#1 HuskyPup, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry but the GOP have just gone down the toilet of crazy. Conservatism doesn't have to be like this. It should be about fiscal responsibility and protecting the environment (it's called CONSERVING the environment for a reason). Not about "hating them gays and Muslims". I think that in America there's a conservative party the democrats and a crazy party the Republicans.

3. 2112

I agree, but conserving the environment has always been seen as a liberal thing.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is pretty amazing just how far to the right the Republicans have veered. One thing you can bet money on: Republicans will use this 'religious freedom' argument to fight against equal rights in housing, employment, transgender rights and other areas, across the country.

Once the marriage issue is settled, you can bet they're not going to stop there.

What's really appalling is the cast of characters that Rand Paul is associating himself with: Scott Lively, James Dobson, Phyllis Schlafly: he could't have picked a worse bunch.

5. SomeLeviathan

it's been interesting for me, I remember when Lindsey Grahm was the face of evil in the GOP and now he's like... reasonable. The massive run to out-right each other since Obama has been fascinating to watch.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Devastating to me. I thought Rand was more neutral on gay rights than anything. He had even hinted at one time that he wasn't sure about how he felt about gay marriage. I still like his stance about other issues, but this certainly gives me pause.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LINO = Libertarian in name only...

8. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it looks like it's time for me to start my **it-list of whom I'm voting against and why. Now, I'm not saying I'm likely to vote for any Republican in the general election; I'm just considering what can be done to reduce the risk of crazy getting out of the primaries. My only fear is that there won't be a single candidate that I won't be voting against. Then what? :***:

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Their definition of libertarianism seems to be "freedom for me but not for thee"

10. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And this is why Rand Paul is a joke and will never become president. His supports always grasp on his more popular (and ironically more liberal) positions such as ending the drug war, not getting involved in wars, etc, yet they completely ignore all the other batshit-insane stuff that he involves himself with/advocates.

I don't know how anyone with any respect for LGBT rights could support someone who associates themselves with these anti-gay sacks of shit.

11. SomeLeviathan

yo dawg I heard you liked legal weed... so we got you a non-interventionist foreign policy, a return to the gold standard, a deregulation of the financial industry, legalized discrimination, slashing of the EPA, a ban on abortion, a halting of antidscrimination policies based on gender, ban on same gender marriage, opposition to affirmitive action and voter ID laws.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's going to be a really short documentary.

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's always been seen as liberal/left wing but I think that if conservatives were more consistent then they would be environmental friendly.

14. Summer Rose

Thing is, conservatives now have an appt name, as they wish to conserve the absolute domination of religion over everyone except an elite few. Be it telling others to avoid vaccine and medicine, cut school funding, repeal tolerance, instigate violence (2nd amendment fear mongering or lgbt violence), or anti-choice; I would say they've been fairly consistent across the board.

15. CyclingFan

I'm not sure how many conservatives we have in the USA. We have a rather large contingent of reactionaries nursing a grudge since the civil rights era and those who profit from their hatred.

16. shadowraptor

I've always considered myself a Republican, but I don't think I want to associate myself with a party that's become a group of far-right bigoted d-bags. It's funny that they think the sole purpose of LGBT rights is to eliminate Christians, and to think that the same party that once supported the abolition of slavery could now adopt this standpoint on equality... disgusting.

I know this doesn't apply to all Republicans... but given the choice between Rand Paul and Hillary Clinton, I'll move to Canada.

17. CyclingFan

The realignment of political parties in the US since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 are quite interesting. Before this time, there was more ideological diversity within both the major parties. It was possible to be a liberal Republican, especially in the Northeast, and to be a conservative Democrat.

Nixon was able to exploit this in his 1968 run (The Southern Strategy) which also drew more and more former southern Democrats into the Republican Party and much greater party/ideological alignment than existed under the previous system.

Obama won his election with a different coalition than Carter or Bill Clinton. There are some people who wonder if this same coalition will remain intact for 2016 for HRC.

18. Now for an M. Night Shyamalan plot twist: Paul and Huckabee are the so-called 'ex-homosexuals'.

19. photoguy93

I think the film could be great ..... for democrats! Ha!

I mean, seriously - who thinks these things up? It's going to be some awkward film where a bunch of guys are going "Wellllll gurlfriend, I love my wife! I don't think about men anymore...Okay, I do. All the time. Every minute of the day. Butttttt I love my wi...oh, look, her hot brother!"

Seriously, though, it's sad for everyone involved. I just hope that we can turn it around and make sure people know it's as fake as crap!