1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Anti-anti-discrimination bill in Arkansas became law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Feb 23, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

2. AsheTheHuman

Absolutely disgusting. This makes my blood boil. No reason this exists other than hate and stupidity.

3. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Can anyone please explain the law to me? I am not very acquainted in American law.

4. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well screw you state government of Arkansas!

This bill better not entice bigots to get violent. From what I read... it seems mainly focused on the health care and business side of things. But I just can't help but think, since now there are no protections against discrimination, that violence towards the LGBT community is also inevitable. It's still discrimination if they get rowdy with us. Or am I just looking for a fight?

5. RainDreamer

The article I first linked did a little explaining(emphasis mine):
    Also the second link I have direct to the PDF files of the bill itself if you want to read it in its original form. Line 9 to 12 of page 2 is where bad things are written.

Basically, they are forbidding people from protecting anyone from discrimination if it is not stated in the state law. Which is a frigging stupid idea, as it expose not just for LGBT people, but anyone the state law doesn't cover, to discrimination.

#5 RainDreamer, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

7. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap elegant!

8. Quen

And here is yet another perfect opportunity to state the phrase that is unfortunately becoming my motto due to excessive use: Can you just not?

On an equally exasperated note, it's not like there will be a national anti-discrimination law to knock this one down because the one that's been floating around Congress for over 2 decades is never going to get passed by this Congress.

9. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Pathetic...

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is really their last attempt to combat same-sex marriage. Many GOP politicians have admitted that allowing LGBT discrimination is their way of having one final "fuck you" since same-sex marriage is inevitable.

11. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more I hear about some of the states in the US, the more I think "Land of the free my arse"
    :jawdrop: :eek: :jawdrop: :eek: :jawdrop: :eek: :jawdrop:

12. maselalala

Time for a gay sit in :grin: *raises hand*

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Technically it's still a crime to commit a violent act against someone. (except self defense) I think it's inevitable that someone will commit a violent act against someone in the LGBT community regardless of this bill or any other law.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This bill is unconstitutional, per Romer V. Evans, a case decided in 1996 when Colorado passed a law identical to the one passed in Arkansas. It'll be struck down.

15. AlamoCity

I think they're trying to skirt Romer by not specifically naming any groups that are barred from protection, which was the downfall of the Colorado amendment. That said, the animus of the law is pretty clear in the transcripts of the debates in the legislature. SCOTUS might just use the "spirit" of the law as the basis of why it is inherently discriminatory.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't these limited brain cell hicks have more important things to focus on, like improving the education system?

18. SkyDiver

They're too devolved to even know that their current education system is a problem.

19. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently I don't have to worry about any of you coming to visit? It's such a lovely state filled with understanding people lol.

I don't have tv so I didn't know about this until I saw it here. After reading the argument that the Colorado law set a precedent is kinda shaky. The Colorado law specifically named the lgbt community the Arkansas law doesn't. The Colorado law didn't give a reason why they allowed it. The Arkansas law does.

If I were to attack this law I would use the following method.

The Arkansas Constitution Section 2 Article 3 defines Equality Before the Law and reads:

The equality of all persons before the law is recognized, and shall ever remain inviolate; nor shall any citizen ever be deprived of any right, privilege or immunity; nor exempted from any burden or duty, on account of race, color or previous condition.

Since the new law states that "Arkansas’s cities and counties cannot exceed state law in protecting people from discrimination" this actually allows room for people to discriminate against people based on sex, religious beliefs, and country of origin.

Because it allows discrimination based on sex, religious beliefs, and country of origin then the law is in violation of The Constitution of the United States under the 14th amendment which states
    "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

It is also in violation of The Civil Rights Act of 1964 which reads:
    "All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin. "

Then again what the hell do I know I'm just a hick from Arkansas it's not like I can read and actually from a valid opinion right?

20. AlamoCity

Oh, snap!