1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK parliament allows three person babies

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Feb 25, 2015.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UK approves three-person babies - BBC News

Despite opposition from Church leaders, the House of Lords overwhelmingly approved legislation to allow three person babies. The UK is the first country in the world to grant approval and the first babies could be born next year.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really glad to see that this passed. Yay for science!

3. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is great news. Mitochondrial diseases are particularly nasty and I don't understand why religious leaders would want to deprive parents of something that could prevent their children from suffering.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, crosses the line between science and nature too much for me. I don't believe in doing anything that could come even close to genetic manipulation to produce children. If you have mitochondrial diseases related to mitochondrial DNA and you're a female, don't have children... Or, since a female wih mitochondrial diseases can sometimes have children that can vary from no disease (rare) to full disease (also rare), since often not all mitochondria are affected, and only a small subset are transferred to the egg, maybe test the eggs.... Still I suppose it is useful. One of those things I'm split on. If I had to choose a side, I'd be against it.

#4 Austin, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. antibinary

"It's not ntural and godly WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

6. RainDreamer

Science! I love how we are able to go beyond the limitation of our biological processes and help humanity become healthier. I hope nothing bad happens with this on the social level though. I am worried these babies will be bullied or such when they grew up if how they are conceived is discovered.

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad the majority here is supportive. :icon_bigg If we can prevent certain diseases, I think we should. Amazing progress!! :icon_bigg

8. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

This is good news, anything that can save lives and prevent suffering is a good thing. My only concern is that this could possibly lead to something like designer babies which I would be against.

9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Church leaders and the house of lords are two groups that should have nothing to do with politics. Every time I hear on the news "The church of England said this.." I think won't these medieval fuckers leave us alone. Maybe they should stop being sexist and homophobic before they lecture us on morality. The house of lords should not exist or should be replaced by an house of experts. Instead of it being made up by a bunch of stuck up rich arseholes.

10. Ryu

Ryu

This was hillarious when I heard it on the Radio.
    Reenactment:
    Radio: 'the bill has been passed for three parent babies to be concieved to erase genetic problems.'
    Me: 'ooh, kinky...'