1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The AFA made a "bigotry map"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Feb 26, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

The American Family Association Publishes Interactive 'Bigotry Map' Featuring LGBT Organizations
    The funny thing is, they just effectively helped us by making a tool that allow us to find LGBT resources easier. So...thanks AFA, I guess?

#1 RainDreamer, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm so tired of fake Christians...these guys could use a little critical thinking, or you know, thinking in general.

3. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This map is nice to have. Sadly, the only places close enough that have a "homosexual agenda" on this map are Omaha, NE and a couple cities in Ohio. *sigh* And I'm only two hours away from St. Louis... why aren't they highlighted with a homosexual agenda? They have pride parades...

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The purpose of this map is not good in my opinion. On top of the website it says "Exposing anti-Christian bigotry in America" Then the website claims the following things under its description:

Stating that the objectives of these groups are "to silence Christians and to remove all public displays of Christian heritage and faith in America" is completely ridiculous and an obvious generalisation. There might be groups like that, but plenty of the groups listed have nothing to do with that, in particular the LGBT groups. Do we aim to silence Christians? No. Do we aim to remove ALL public displays of Christian heritage? No.

They are making false claims without any evidence to back it up.

And their claims go on and on... If some group does that, it's completely ignorant to think that all think like that. It's like saying that all Christians are bad based on actions of the Westboro Baptist Church.

It appears that those people clearly have no clue what they are talking about:

This doesn't follow from atheism at all nor are all atheist groups listed critical of the expression of faith in public. "Atheist - someone who believes that God does not exist" (Cambridge Dictionaries Online)

Wrong. "Humanism - a belief system based on the principle that people's spiritual and emotional needs can be satisfied without following a god or religion" (Cambridge Dictionaries Online)

Humanists don't believe that science "triumphs" faith in issues of morality. Nor do we think science triumphs faith in decision-making.

-

Seems like the American Family Association likes to give its own interpretation to things. I wonder how many people will actually believe their claims.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The American Family Association is popular in the Bible Belt and with other Christian Right groups. Chick-fil-A used to donate money to them. Ultimately they're a huge joke, as are any group that calls themselves "family" anything, which is really just code for "anti-gay". It's pretty cute when bigots play the persecution card, though.

6. Hatsune Miku

american fucktard association

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rhode Island is apparently the only state without any

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Like I've always said... If there's 3 things the American Family Associate doesn't know anything about, it's America, families, and associations.

9. Aldrick

They forgot to list my house.

10. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think it's working right, I can't find the AFA...

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember, their definition of a hate group is anyone that calls them a hate group.

Honestly, if I were head of the NSA, the word "family" would be in my XKEYSCORE rules.

I'm very pleased to know the organization I previously interned for is on their map...

~ Adrienne

12. MrK21

"These groups are deeply intolerant towards the Christian religion. Their objectives are to silence Christians and to remove all public displays of Christian heritage and faith in America," AFA officials note on their site. "Some members or supporters of these groups have committed violent crimes against Christians and faith-based groups. Physical and profane verbal assaults against Christians are methods frequently exercised in their angry methods of intimidation."

If anyone experiences physical or verbal attacks happen because of their religion then that IS bigotry and you do have a right to complain but otherwise STFU. I have yet to really see anyone get beaten up for their beliefs though.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL. That's all.

14. antibinary

Can you make one for the UK too!

15. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    To them, "bigotry" means not allowing prayer in public schools and not allowing ex-gay camps to exist. Basically, if they're not allowed to force their beliefs on others and be intolerant, then they're being "persecuted".

16. newfish

Well, Christians living in much of the west. As for minority religions, that's a different story.
    Of course, that's not what the AFA is talking about.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :confused: Uh... okay...