1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Russia opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Aldrick

Welcome to Putin's Russia. He will hold onto power at all costs. The full article from the BBC can be found here.

2. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, Putin's secret police strikes again. I bet Putin will blame "hooligans" for the shooting.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alexander Litvinenko

4. Aldrick

Don't worry. According to the New York Times, Putin's spokesman said that Putin is very upset over the assassination and will personally be heading up the investigation on the matter. (Yes, this is true.)

Putin is sending a message. In a way, I think this shows how weak Putin is becoming in Russia. He is afraid. If he wasn't afraid he wouldn't strike out like this--it is a sign of desperation.

It is my hope that as Russian's learn of what happened, that they start speaking up, and daring Putin to assassinate them as well. All there needs to be is a flash point, and the house of cards Putin has built for himself will start to tumble down.

Hopefully the rally will still take place on Sunday, and attract more than it otherwise would as a result of this assassination.

#4 Aldrick, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aye yie yie

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is not said whether Putin is responsible for this, but many will likely think so either way. And of course, saying he has nothing to do with it is not really credible.. The "I'm afraid Putin will kill me" gives me the shivers, it really does.

7. 741852963

My first thoughts exactly.

At the very least it is highly suspicious, as with Litvinenko. A critic to the regime, fearful of Putin, just about to attend a peace rally criticising the actions of the government. Hmmm.

And if that doesn't raise eyebrows this certainly does:

Well at least there will be an impartial and completely fair investigation, we can all relax now! I'm sure some perfectly rational, non-Putin-incriminating explanation will be found!

8. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're definitely right, it is highly suspicious. Like you say, a critic of the regime (who is fearful of Putin) and then that person gets killed..

The scary thing is, that if Putin is indeed in a way responsible for it, then he doesn't really care about the way we view him, right? He does various "remarkable" things (such as giving a Kalashnikov to the Egyptian president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi). Does he not care how others see him? It's a very strange situation, I think it's because quite some countries are dependent of Russia. They simply can't do much against it.

9. 741852963

I don't personally have any doubts. And under Putin's rule there have been bucket-loads of critics who have had untimely deaths, ‎Anna Politkovskaya being one. Now perhaps one isolated case could be dismissed as just conspiracy talk, but in these numbers? I don't think so.

What adds to the evidence in my mind is the Russian governments refusal to cooperate with extradition requests for the prime suspects of the Litvinenko assassination. If the state had nothing to do with that crime, why on earth would they take such a obstructive stand?

I think you are right that he is unfortunately very much "above the law". He could probably go out and shoot someone himself in broad daylight and filmed by international news channels and nothing would be done. Just last week Russia made the threatening move of invading British airspace with fighter jets with no provocation, purely to "send a message". Its "rule by intimidation" and unfortunately is works - both Russia and the wider world are terrified.

I do think thats a real problem with International Law - if you hold enough clout you can literally get away with murder*. Look at all the atrocities committed under Mugabe's rule - any consequences for him? Nah! Pol Pot? Pinochet? Were they ever truly brought to justice? Nope.

*Theres a separate debate here too of how nuclear weapons essentially give states the power to go uncriticized.

10. Aldrick

I agree with what has been written.

I also think Putin is not even trying to hide that he was directly involved, and I think he is sending a message to his other critics. He is trying to intimidate them into silence. Everyone with a brain, especially Putin's critics, knows that he was behind it. His assuming "personal control" over the investigation is done just in case anyone had any doubts. Everyone knows he is the number one suspect, and therefore being involved with the investigation would be a conflict of interest. Someone who was trying to deflect blame would appoint a bi-partisan, well respected individual for their independence and integrity to conduct the investigation. He did not do that. He is sending people the message that not only did he do it, that he is going to get away with doing it, and there is not a damn thing anyone can do to stop him.

The thing is, though, that Putin's overt gesture indicates that he at the very least feels insecure about his position in Russia. People don't assassinate other people unless they are threatened by them. The fact that Putin had to do this so overtly and in a public way, not only to kill this one opposition leader, but to send a message to all others who would criticize him--it reveals an underlying weakness.

I think Putin miscalculates, though. He may be incredibly powerful in Russia, and be able to inspire a large amount of fear. However, he is still a man and he can bleed like any other man. Putin is not the only one who can hire contract assassins, and this very well may be how he goes out as well. He certainly has no intention of leaving office through any other means but death.

11. Gallatin

I couldn't help but laugh when I heard this. When I saw this on the news last night, the reporter couldn't resist saying it with just a hint of attitude, as if to say, "This is a complete joke".

But seriously, what's he going to do, handcuff himself?

12. Aldrick

No. The message has already been sent. There will most likely be a period of investigation, but the people ultimately arrested will likely have nothing to do with the murder. If I were Putin I'd handle it in one of two ways.

Discredit the Victim: Putin finds some truly hardened criminals and thugs, some truly bad people, and frames them. He claims that Boris Nemtsov (the victim) was involved in illegal dealings, brings forward fake evidence of his corruption, and talks about how his death is a result of his dealings going south. The type of corruption he is involved in should be something upsetting to the average Russian. This discredits him, muddies the water, and prevents the opposition from using him as a martyr against the regime. It will ensure that there are always some lingering doubts about him, ideally undermining any popular support he might receive after death.

Discredit the Movement: Putin frames other members of Boris Nemtsov's movement / political opposition party. Claim that they assassinated him themselves, prior to the Sunday protest, in an attempt to drum up popular support for their anti-regime demonstrations. Plant some fake evidence, and arrest members of the opposition, and torture them / threaten their families lives to get forced confessions.

Of the two best options, the first is the least risky. If he tries to discredit the movement, he must bring attention to the movement itself. There is always a chance that people will see through his lies. However, this may become necessary if there is popular momentum building against him. This allows him to crack down on the movement and use propaganda in his favor. The first option is the safest option, especially if the movement is weak with little momentum, as by discrediting their martyr he can hopefully take the air out of it completely.

If I were Putin, this is how I would handle this situation.

13. 741852963

I think you are spot on.

Its a sly way of saying "this is what I can do, and this is what I can get away with. Look, I am accountable to no one."

That level of power is truly terrifying, but I guess that is what dictatorship is.

Probably truth in there. I am sure even if the election were results of 2012 were genuine (questionable), they do indicate some dissent and a fall out of favour.

I also think in someways Russia is similar to China (or Japan many years ago) in that it is beginning to become more "Westernized" - the advances in technology are facilitating this. Ordinary citizens can now see for themselves that the grass actually is greener on the other side.

And on that note you have the looming recession which will only further affect the country's mood.

To be honest I'm surprised nobody has, perhaps that is under the impression he in untouchable - he has gotten away with so much and for so long, why would the future be different? Perhaps its grand delusions and he really does see himself as godlike?

My only worry would be that if anything happened he would either be turned into a martyr and things will continue as they are in his memory, or alternatively it would create dangerous instability and international conflicts (Russia accusing foreign states). It could end up like the cold war all over again which is scary.

Sometimes I like to imagine all this doesn't exist and to just black it out, but unfortunately those in Russia don't get the same opportunity to switch off.

14. Aldrick

741852963 -

I think your fears are well founded. Putin has done all that he can to root out, weaken, or destroy any creditable opposition. This makes him the only alternative. When he falls (and he will eventually) there is the danger of a power vacuum opening up. The question of who will fill it will loom, and whoever it is will not command the same level of fear that Putin has carefully cultivated around himself.

Unfortunately, I believe Russia is just on the beginning of a bad journey. The worse things get in Russia, especially economically, the more his power is threatened. That means he will go further and further to hold on to power and control, and at some point--if he is not assassinated before this (likely by the other oligarchs)--he will over reach and the public will rebel against him. It will look like the toppling of other dictators, and it could go the way of Ukraine or even Syria.

The question is... if Putin is taken out, who or what comes after Putin? The only thing I can envision is chaos. ...and that may very well be what Putin wants, as it makes him irreplaceable. However, at some point chaos may become preferable to the alternative.

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Public's not going to rebel against Putin, they love him. He could declare himself president for eternity and his approval rating would go up ten points.

This is a guy who annexed part of a sovereign nation and judging by the reaction of the public you'd think Russia had won the World Cup. This is a guy who isn't even bothering to adopt a pretence of democracy in Russia and the general public just do not give a crap. This is a guy who has dropped the economy into the toilet and the public just blame Western sanctions.

He's practically untouchable politically.

#15 GeeLee, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  16. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They loved him because he used to deliver the goods, so to speak. Long, smoldering military campaigns going from debacle to debacle, economic crashes and foreigners treating Russia like a third-rate power with delusions of grandeur, nukes or no nukes, and its leaders as ridiculous rubes were exactly the things he promised Russians they'll never see again. And up to and including Crimea, he mostly did just that.

Now, however, he increasingly looks like Yeltsin who prefers working out to look good in photo ops to vodka.

#16 WeirdnessMagnet, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. Tudi

Hmm, as I can see, people love ( not loved ) him because life of average Russian becomes really better! After collapse of the USSR people used to live in deep deep shit. Now it's okay. I have never seen as such the rise of patriotism among Russians as now.
    Is it? Now it's better than it used to be
    I don't like some of Putin's solutions but really? Gosh, no one can be worst than Yeltsin.

18. burg

putin does have a lot of experience in heading investigations where he is the main suspect.hes been doing it since he was deputy mayor.

19. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Putin is likely not to blame.

He's a KGB agent. His methods are different, and much more subtle. There have been assassinations made by his regime before, and they were much less obvious. He usually just arrests people and makes them rot in jail.

Let me explain Russian politics to you: Nemtsov is, and was, a nobody, with little political power to speak of. He is not even the poster boy of the liberals; Navalny is, and he has been arrested already. Putin would not benefit from his death at all.

Another power is behind these killings. It is quite possible someone wanted to spur the liberal protests.

#19 Milonov, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015