1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Ukrainian MP Proposes Law to Jail Critics of the Regime

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Milonov, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The bill, tabled by Konstantin Mateichenko of the Popular Front and the commander of a volunteer battalion, fighting in eastern Ukraine, envisages jail terms of up to three years for “intentional actions aimed at undermining the authority of the national government”.

According to media reports, the draft does not require any prior endorsement from the Ukrainian public.

Mateichenko proposes adding to the penal code a clause providing punishment for “public defamation <…> or any other action aimed at undermining state authority “and also for “cynical disregard” of the powers-that-be and the “state as a whole”.
    The violators may also face prison terms of up to six months, or community service.

Read more: Ukrainian MP Proposes Law to Jail Critics of the Regime / Sputnik International

How come nobody talks about this law in Europe?

2. Aldrick

That's a dumb and needlessly provocative law. A law that is similar in nature, making it illegal to give aid to the rebels (economic or political) would suffice.

He runs the risk of overreach and losing support. Stupid.

3. BiPenguin

The Ukranian Government with the full endorsement of the West, is a coalition of several political parties including one which is a party based on Nazism.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had a dollar for any time a politician had an idiotic idea, I'd be a millionnaire.

I'm not entirely sure if you can call it a law just yet. It's not because politicians propose some weird stuff that it automatically carries the force of law.

So: so far, I haven't seen any other mention of it, let alone any news that the Ukrainian parliament voted on it or is even planning on doing so. And writing into a proposal that it takes effect without voting doesn't actually make it so. Laws are not magic formulas.

5. burg

i find it easy to dismiss any reports from sputinik in fact all putin controlled media nearly out of hand. English | StopFake .whats the bet western media didnt report it because its not really true.

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Every parliament, congress etc right around the world has village idiots like this. It's not a problem that has suddenly appeared for the first time in Ukraine.

7. maselalala

If a quarter of a country rebels against it's leadership, I can understand this reaction.