1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WBC to protest Carlin, Twain tomorrow

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/fliers/20081103_george-carlin-mark-twain.pdf

Yes, the Westboro Baptist Church really does plan to protest two dead men tomorrow in Washington DC. They attack comedian George Carlin for his frequent ridicule of religion and Christianity in particular, and because Carlin is set to receive the Mark Twain Prize for Humor tomorrow, they're protesting the man whose name is attached to the award.

Absolutely ridiculous.

2. Fiorino

These people don't deserve our attention, we shouldn't
    be giving it to them. Please, in the future, all
    ec members avoid posting about WBC, you're
    just giving them publicity and fueling their hate.

3. Seanboy23

I totally agree with that; these people do not need any extra publicity, or any other exposure that brings them the attention they so desparately desire.

HOWEVER... EC is a pretty specialized forum with a tight-knit group of members. We seem to be pretty focused on sharing information that we learn about with everyone here for the purposes of informing, educating, and even entertaining one another. I don't think the WBC gets any added benefit from us talking about them here.

And the most important thing: I think it's important that in the case of this psycho group, we NEED to know what they're up to. I've seen Margie Phelps from the WBC speak on television, and I read a letter from their organization that was sent to a local LGBT group, and frankly, they scare me. I can't really say whether or not they are just radicals trying to get people riled up, or if they may actually evolve into a dangerous entity. If it's possible that they lean towards the latter, I'd rather know ahead of time by being aware of what they're up to.

4. Amy

Amy

These people are starting to get even more ridiculous. Really, it is just sad.

They scare me too. In many ways.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're protesting because some guy ridiculed christianity? The WBC got interviewed on a UK show called the Jeremy Kyle show and in that interview they accused christianity of being one of the largest paedophile rings going. They're hypocrits if they're protesting about others ridiculing christianity...

6. Bunny

...Wow. Now they're just makin' stuff up.

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Those people need to seriously get a life.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think you need to worry about a bunch of LGBT and supportive forum members giving any support at all to the WBC. Posting their idiocy here is in no way "giving them publicity". Maybe negative, perhaps.

9. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "...will soon join Carlin and Twain in Hell." How do they know it will be soon? Are we all turning to pumpkins at midnight and somebody forgot to tell me?

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always have to laugh at how they assume every dead person not in the church is in Hell. How do they know? What if God sneezed as they died and forgot to toss them in? Maybe they had a deathbed conversion or something.

11. kramer362

bahaha mark twain died in 1910...

Excuse me while I go protest someone who died a hundred years ago because I disagree with them about something...

Carlin I can understand, as distasteful as a funeral protest is, it's nothing new for WBC, and he did in fact attack religion a lot. Actually that's one of the reasons I love his comedy so much. And frankly I wish the WBC would stop getting any sort of attention via the media or from counter-protesters. I much prefer thinking they feel completely useless, by no one giving them the impression they are bothered by or even care that they're around.

#11 kramer362, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    His religious routines were some of the best comedy pieces of the century.

13. Trumpetplyer23

Haha. I find it funny, actually. Why? Because Mark Twain was probably one of the funniest writers ever. I can just imagine what his response to Mr. Phelps would be.

I think we should just laugh at how ridiculous the WBC is becoming. They've run out of good ideas, so now they're just protesting everything they can. I guess Fred's brain is running on empty, lol.

But, alas, it is really stupid. Really stupid. But, it's so stupid, it's funny.

14. Derek the Wolf

*sigh* What is wrong with these people?
    I think I'm gonna protest their mass. Every Sunday.