1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Florida House panel OKs bill restricting public restrooms to birth gender

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Aldrick

Full story here.

2. RainDreamer

Someone give me a reaction image of being angry, horrified and baffling at the same time cause I can't find a better way of expressing my feelings about this.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sad... Being transgender means you are forced to hold it? 'Cause some bathrooms are full of humans who tend to spend a lot of time there... Or... Some bathrooms are just too dirty and smelly. Nobody should be forced to go to a place that he or she doesn't want to go.

More work is needed, a ton of work... We are living in the middle ages... Sad, but we are not going to give up... At least I won't.

4. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transgender people are making great progress despite things like this.
    Just as it was with gays, the more you actually know transgender people the more you accept them. Before, it was pretty much all about gay rights and marriage rights, next we will see acceptance, and more importantly understanding of transgender people.
    The straight community has been pretty much overwhelmed by the advancement of rights for gays in the past ten or so years.
    All it takes is educating the uneducated.
    After all, for a lot of straight people this is all new.
    So they knee jerk fear reactions and hate.
    But they too will come around.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So can intersex people not go to the bathroom now in Florida? Do they just have to hold it in? The party of small government, everyone.

6. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Sigh....-.-

7. ANewDawn

Days like today that I'm embarrassed to live in Florida.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is an act of violence. Someone is going to be encouraged to beat up someone trans.

This law would invite people to pill on.

9. Aldrick

You live in Florida. Shouldn't you be embarrassed to live there everyday? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

On a more serious note. I just had an interesting idea on a way to protest this law. Does anyone know if the legislators have their own private bathrooms, or bathrooms that are restricted to legislators only?

If not, then trans* people should descend on the capitol, then hang out in the bathrooms to deliberately make them uncomfortable. Flip the script. Obey the law as it is written, but do it in such a way that a cis-het has to experience what a trans* person goes through. Let them feel uncomfortable every time they have to go, making them feel like they are going to the wrong bathroom for their gender. Make them think about holding it until they are someplace "safe."

Imagine some of those uptight Republican women oh-so worried about a trans* woman in her bathroom, instead having to deal with a bunch of trans* men giving her the same type of looks they receive as she tries to avoid their gaze to take a piss.

Let them walk a mile in trans* peoples shoes.

10. Ryu

Ryu

First Kentucky an now Florida?! C'mon America!

I don't really care about American polotics 'cos I'm English... But still... This ridiculous...