1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Georgia Senate approves ‘religious freedom’ bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Aldrick

This is a long article.

In short, they are moving to make it easier to discriminate against us, and going after our allies who opposed such measures in the past. We are also being sold up the river in exchange for votes on other issues by legislators.

2. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm unsure what this bill actually allows

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When will people learn you cannot be homophobic and claim to know Jesus. Jesus was the opposite of a homophobe and died for our sins so we may enter heaven. Most important of all God knows our hearts and he knows our hearts did not chose to be gay, lesbian, bi or trans. All you need to do is believe in Jesus and live as he did and you will enter the heavenly paradise.

4. gleewarblergirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    true

5. ChameleonSoul

That's just great! Another state where we're at the mercy of straight cisgender people. Of course the only reason why they're doing this is because they're losing the marriage battle and have to come up with some other way to subjugate us.

6. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pfft, 'religious freedom', what a load of shit.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well pretty soon gay marriage will become legal in all 50 states and them homophobes will have nothing to do about it but cry cry cry! :tears:

8. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe I should be more clear

What does this bill actually do

9. Aldrick

It is virtually identical to the other "religious freedom" bills we have seen getting passed around the country. It is basically a "pro-discrimination" bill, giving people "religious exemptions" if they choose to discriminate against people on the basis of being LGBT. Though technically it is more broad than that, since they do not explicitly say LGBT (otherwise the laws would be struck down), however that is the intent behind it.

10. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the best description of these kind of laws!
    In Northern Ireland they are discussing one of these bills, it is worded in a way that it only applies to gays. In other words it would be legal to discriminate against someone wearing a rainbow badge but not against someone wearing a KKK uniform.
    Other versions of this law are so loosely written that they would allow you to discriminate against anyone. e.g.:"It is my deeply held religious belief that women should not be seen in public"
    These are nothing more than the gay equivalent of the "Jim Crow" laws.

11. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What a load of shit. *facepalm*

12. Ryu

Ryu

(This is a hypothetical scenario)
    So going up to somebody that looks gay stating I was christian and that I was going to kick them, then started kicking them, and finishing kicking them when they're bleeding in a corner is legal in georgia? Hmm... It's not assault because I warned them, and this new act...

13. Quen

And here we go again: Can you just not? Not doing this is always an option. Like, a really real one. That probably, actually fits your religion better. I'll even bring out a Bible quote to drive that last bit home: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

:bang:

14. wolf of fire

This will go when someone who isn't a Christian uses it cos let's face it that's how these things work. On a slightly unrelated note murder is against my religion so can I ban I a murderer from using my business?

15. Ryu

Ryu

^
    So about two weeks until it's gone...
    Yay.

16. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder how many of these people, had they been around a half century ago, would've considered laws against racial discrimination to be a violation of "religious freedom." If the "logic" I've heard from a lot of bigots recently was applied to interracial marriages, it would be a violation of "religious liberty" to prevent a baker from discriminating against an interracial couple if that baker has a sincerely held religious belief that interracial marriage was wrong.

Having a sincerely held religious belief doesn't excuse discrimination which would otherwise be unjustified.

17. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your post reminded me of something I saw on one of the TV news stations back when another state was considering a similar bill (I think Arizona ?) The reporter asked that exact same question to a big supporter (head of some religious group) of the bill. I thought the guy was going to hem and haw and say that's different, but he didn't skip a beat, he was smiling and said yes it would be possible. If he had a media adviser the person probably was doing a facepalm after that statement.

18. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that was Anderson Cooper interviewing an Arizona state senator.

Some say that the fight for racial equality should never be brought up in discussions about LGBT equality, but I think this is one of the exceptions. When an anti-gay argument from bigots can be just as easily applied to racist policies, it quickly becomes apparent how messed up the argument is. No one, except someone who's extremely racist, would think that having a sincerely held religious belief should excuse them from racial discrimination.

19. Manitoban

What I think is that they are opening up a whole can of worms that they don't want to get into.

This is directed against us yes, but it can blow up in their face when people start using this for all sorts of other things in the name of "god." I can't believe some of the nonsense that comes out of the US south. Up here its not perfect... Bill C-51 on terrorism is really frightening. But on the matter of LGB rights things are pretty much done. The conservatives dont really want to reopen that debate. The T part is still up in the air, but things are moving along at least.

20. Kenaria

As someone who's lived in Georgia all their life and will up until they're at least 20, I'm genuinely scared.