1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK - Play for children "OK to be gay"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ccdd, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

2. Wow that's awesome. They should teach kids here that it's not bad to be gay.

3. Bunny

That's so cool!

I don't understand the parents who think their children are too 'young' to learn about homosexuality, yet it's okay for them to be aware of heterosexuality from a much younger age.

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I mean, it's aimed at 11-14 year olds - an age where I was definately having very gay thoughts! I think the complaints are of the this-will-make-them-gay type, even though that's not exactly what they're saying - but I think it's what they're thinking and feeling.

And to the person who said at that age they didn't know what the word "gay" meant -well, it's called a new generation, and I think it'd be hard to find a single 11-14 year-old who didn't know what the word meant.

I think it's a good idea - especially as someone brought up under Section 28 - and I can't see why people are getting so funny about it.

5. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree, I don't get that logic either.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know. Why not go even further and send their mother away, then ship them to an all-white-males school. They can learn about women and non-white people when they're mature enough for the subject.

7. Linkmaste

Totally agree here. It isnt too young to start on that stuff and we are a diverse society therefore we should educate those who may be homosexuals bisexuals and so forth to teach them and not have them feel alone or anything. I cant get over parents not knowing what gay meant. This is why we want to educate them about this!

8. When I was 11, this play probably wouldn't have meant much to me. But 14- that's a different story. As for 'too young to think about being gay' that's bullsh*t. Like there's a single normal person anywhere in that age group who hasn't thought about his/her sexuality. And it's definitely not too young to be bullied for being gay.

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Oh how I wish I was going through school now and not under Section 28 like I did! I know that I've had it a lot easier than the generation that went before me, but there has been such a sea-change recently - something like this when I was at school would have been unthinkable! I could have been out for 10 years by now...

10. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Okay these two
    "It has come to something when our schools are worried about first year pupils making up their minds about their sexuality. What happened to the three Rs?" and....
    "Maybe I'm pretty old-fashioned sort of bloke but I don't want my boy seeing this. I could be wrong but I don't think its normal to think about being gay at that age."

When i started school 13 years ago (grade 1) they made us watch videos about sex, peoples anatomy and being awars of oneself. Now if they think that the 11-14 year age group is too young why let the kids watch Sex Ed videos from 6 years old?!

I was thinking about being gay when I went into highschool (12) and knew at 13.5 so why are parents denying this. I work at a school where one of the girls mum has not allowed her to speak to me becaue I don't believe in God (thinking I might spread my bad ways). This is really frustrating for me because also at school (all boys private school no-less) we had no information talk about this. I am just glad that someone has had the guts to make something like this.

11. Nugget

I did when I was 10.

Age makes no difference; kids should be taught that there are NO exceptions when it comes to anti-bullying. 11-14 year olds, if not old enough to know about the basics of sex, are old enough to know about respect. If there are 6th graders and freshmen bullying gay kids, then the age target is right.

12. AlmightyFluffy

Until I was eleven, the only thing I knew about what gay was, was from what an older kid said to me "It's a bad thing, a very bad thing"
    Yeah, I think I probably could have been introduced to it a little bit better.

13. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

14. Hoppip

Haha, it's a HIP-HOP production. Niiiice.

You can always reach tweens through hip-hop. Never fails. :grin:

15. musican

I was always bullied for being 'gay' or a 'girl' and I knew what a girl was, but I didn't know what gay was. When I found out the meaning of the word other than its use as an insult, I had a feeling that I was gay. I didn't want it to be true because the only context that I had heard about homosexuality was a negative one and I didn't want to be bullied for being different. I actually hated myself for not being normal. These kids are lucky to hear the truth about homosexuality before anyone tries to tell them otherwise.

16. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is awesome. The only way to dissolve the prejudice and discrimination is to educate young people about all forms of sexuality. There's still a long way to go though. I think that in present day gay people have an awkward dilemma. Many years ago people just didnt come out of the closet, because the backlash wouldn't be worth the effort. Now, however, it's come to the stage where people aren't sure if they should come out or not. They won't get thrown in a psychiatric hospital but they do still leave themselves open to discrimination. I hope one day (maybe in like 50 years or so) no-one will have to "come out of the closet". It would be like someone exclaiming they were left-handed....big deal. Maybe its just wishful thinking!

17. No One

oh yea there is no gay discrimination at that age yea right maybe those parents should spend a day at school then tell me that no one at that age is discriminating against gay kids ugh i mean i knew i was in like 7th grade

18. acorn7

I had a similar experience... I guess at 11 I knew what gay meant, but I didn't REALLY know what it meant. I thought it was weird, marginal people in pink feathers who lived by themselves. (I'm not exagerating that much...) In other words, I didn't know that you could be gay and normal, sane, happy, etc.

19. riddlerno1

At 11 i had only just heard the word gay and although it was flogged around as an insult i didnt know i was gay or in fact what the true meaning of it was. I think educating kids from a young age to the 'normalness' of homosexuality can only be a good thing. It is ignorance which casues homophobia and so to educate children when they are still becoming aware of sexuality and the world around them would be a good thing in the long run. In fact they could then probably teach their parents a thing or too!!

20. jazzrawr

I knew what it meant when I was like, 7. I don't know why people think kids can't understand this stuff. Theyre smarter than they seem. I was a bit of an exception, I was a really informed little kid cause me and my mom talked about anything that came into my mind. But most kids don't have that, so a play like this is a great idea.