1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Lesbian hate crimes this year

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fallingdown7, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

‘God hates fags’: Man stabs, strips, writes ‘dyke’ on lesbian — then chokes her with dog leash

Lesbian couple gunned down by obsessed U.S. Coast Guard co-worker – LGBTQ Nation

I realize both of these stories are a bit older, but I haven't seen either posted on EC. What kills me the most about this is that nobody seems to be talking about these situations but rather they were swept under the rug to the point It's hard to even find articles for them. That's why I feel it needs to be brought to the attention of people who are unaware. It's horrifying to see the amount of lesbian related hate crimes happening this year.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really frustrating when violence towards lesbians and bisexual women is so invisible. :frowning2: Thanks for bringing these stories to my attention. These things cannot be ignored. It's important that we remember why we should fight.

~ Adrienne

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with both of you. Frustrating. :frowning2:

4. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sometimes i wish i can create a saving organisation to make all women in the world safe from bigoted men cause really hate crimes on women from stupid men are so many
    i just admire girls too much that even in video games i would quit the game and wont let her die nor want to see her suffer if i lost in the game (yeah im that childish)
    i grow up with 4 girls who care deeply about me and made me a better man today and thats why i admire and love every girl in the world no matter who she is they are all sisters ! ^__^

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With the limited information in the article about the lesbian couple, it doesn't sound like the attack was motivated due to the couple being in a same sex relationship. The guy was obsessed with a coworker, and probably would've done the same thing if she had been dating a guy. Unfortunately this happens all too often, regardless of the victim's orientation.

6. RainDreamer

The scary thing about the first story is that the guy was a complete stranger to the woman. He just took a look at her and judge her based on her appearance that she is a lesbian, and that he need to do all those horrible things to her.

It doesn't even matter if he was wrong and she was actually just a very tomboy-ish heterosexual ciswoman. He might have done the same.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

We can't know this for sure. Lesbians are hated specifically because they are not available to men and the crimes against them and the hate against them this year (just go on tumblr) has been about silencing them and wanting them dead for not wanting to touch dick.

I mean I do agree with you it could be jealousy in general, but the staggering amount of abuse lesbians are enduring this year for excluding men alone (and the recent increase of corrective rape) is what concerned me by reading these articles. Especially since they're usually swept under the rug.

#7 Fallingdown7, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  8. antibinary

"We gotta fight fight fight fight fight for this love"

9. Jellal

:icon_sad: I hate to have to ask, but why would corrective rape increase suddenly? I don't keep track of these stories, so I don't know what causes them to increase in frequency. Basically what I'm saying is, a lot of the time I'm optimistic that the worst tragedies are isolated events that society is gradually growing away from, and to me this is a pretty fucking nasty wake up call, that this is getting worse.

10. Feline

Feline Guest

I'm curious too about this statement, and I truly ignore if it's accurate or not, I wonder if the original poster could provide us some information. Has there really been an increase of corrective rape cases recently? Or is it that people are shedding more light and paying more attention to these acts of violence? And if they are increasing, where? I know these terrible crimes can be (and are) committed in many parts of the world (and not only against women), but is there an increase everywhere or mainly in an specific area (ex. South Africa, where the term got its name)?

I'm also hoping our society is progressing away from all this violence, even if slowly...

11. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    These stories are truly awful and tragic. It's disgusting that these hate crimes are still occurring. And these are just stories from the US. Just imagine what's happening in countries that are more infamous for crimes against the lgbt community, such as Russia, Uganda, and South Africa. Thank you so much for raising awareness and generating discussion about the topic.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Actually the family had spoke out and said their daughter had repeatedly told this man that she was a lesbian and became obsessed with her . So that proves to the fact that he did actually know she was a lesbian and also killed her because of it .
    It's very unlikely for a man to kill another woman for dating another guy , now that does happen but usually incases of cheating and sometimes jealousy but many of the times I've seen it happen they also kill the guy their dating as well .

Also to add I'm not sure if this woman was lesbian or bisexual but she was all shot for having a relationship with another woman in her apartment stair case.
    I don't have corrective rape stats but in my experience even saying your lesbian to male that's straight can get them to try to rape you .
    I have had so called male friends try to get me drunk , it's gotten so bad I actually started to go back to being closeted .

#12 stocking, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Tumblr is a terrible place to get a perspective on statistics, because most of those who speak on or report events, tend to sensationalize the information. Really, aside from some artwork and a small lot of exceptional individuals, Tumblr is only good if you're wanting to study bored, depressed, dysfunctional, or egotistical folks, many of whom feel like inciting violence or embracing being a special snowflake, is the quickest way to garner attention.

They're only dangerous until you tell them to get a job, and then they shut down. LOL.

14. Astral

That first article was horrific. I can't believe the things people will rationalize doing to others. Love for all my lesbian sisters! (*hug*)

15. Centore

Centore Guest

One of the many reasons I dislike religion. People use it as an excuse to do horrible things while not following its beliefs at all. Also, something amusing in the bible is that you're supposed to love people who don't like you. In the old testament, they killed all of the people who wouldn't let them through their cities.

#15 Centore, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015