1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Racist fraternity video - Univ. of Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TENNYSON, Mar 10, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I keep seeing this story in the news, so thought I'd make a thread about it since no one else had.

Video fallout reaches far beyond Oklahoma fraternity

Basically, members of the SAE fraternity at the University of Oklahoma were caught on video chanting about how there'd never be a "n-----" at SAE and it includes the line "you can hang him from a tree". The national SAE organization disbanded the University of Oklahoma chapter following that.

Some people are saying expulsion is on the table.

Others said this kind of thing is more common in fraternities than we'd like to think, it just doesn't get caught on video much.

Thoughts? Reactions?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do I think this really solves systemic racism? No, of course not. However, as I've always said, racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia will never end until they are made unsafe. Taking such extreme action against students demonstrably involved is a very important step towards taking away their safety. This is a critical step forward.

Adrienne

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update: two students expelled. If only this would happen to rapists. Names unfortunately not released.

4. Aldrick

...but, but, but... Freedom of religion! Freedom of speech! Why aren't people more tolerant of different points of view!? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, it is good to see there was swift action. Like Adrienne said, if only this were done for rapists and other types of bigots, the world would be a better place. This is how you solve social problems: by making clear social consequences to bad behavior.

This happened on Sunday, two have been expelled, the Chapter has been dissolved, they are required to have their fraternity house cleared out by this evening (Tuesday), and there is an ongoing investigation to identify others to face similar disciplinary consequences. Swift, decisive, clear, and unmistakably zero tolerance. This is how it should be done.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There was a black guy that post a funny video on this , and I must agree with him the song is catchy but racisit I actually caught myself singing yesterday:confused:.

Is it just me but as a black person I just think maybe we as black people should stop using the N word if we don't want others saying it .:dry:
    Because now their thinking it's okay .
    It's wrong what they did but we need to stop calling ourselves N words .
    Anyway they can keep SAE all white I wouldn't want to be there anyway

#5 stocking, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update: Parker Rice, one of two OU students expelled for their role in leading a racist chant, has issued an apology.

I'm not sure if I accept it though. I hate it when someone famous for whatever reason does something bad, and then issues an apology. Because they're forced to do it by pressure from the public, I don't feel it's sincere. Especially something serious like this.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with this:eusa_clap

Wish that would happen instead of people using the excuse that their such gifted players or students.

8. Gen

Gen

This wasn't an isolated incident either. To claim that it was fueled by alcohol is ridiculous. There have been multiple witnesses who reported this chant in the past. You didn't slip up an use the wrong word to address a group. You didn't randomly say something that found its way onto social media. These individuals have been repeating a chant that, even aside from the slur, literally calls for the lynching of the members of a race.

Don't tell me that you are sorry for drunk driving and taking someone's life when it is something that you do every weekend. You don't suddenly get to care about the lives of other people when the spotlight is on you. The only people I feel sorry for are the potential the younger siblings of these individuals who might get dragged into this as well.

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know how prevalent this is, but there's a college in my state, Towson University, that actually had a Neo-Nazi group. People wanted the members to be expelled but the last I heard, no expulsions had been made.

I think that's absolutely frightening. University of Oklahoma needs to expel them. When it gets to the point where they're openly making threats, they need to be kicked out because, they're a danger to society. Hopefully, their names will be documented by the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree with all the sweeties here questioning the authenticity and sincerity of this apology.

I just wanted to add that I've been intoxicated on more than a few occasions, and I've always been anti-racist and feminist during those times.

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He's not really sorry. He's just trying to save face now that he knows he's been caught. His lawyer or his family probably told him to say that.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find it interesting that in 2015 people can still be found saying or thinking stuff like this and presumably taking it serious... I guess since I'm white I cannot understand how bad this must feel for black people to hear that groups of people still... basically want them dead and don't treat them equal still. To me it's just really shocking and I feel like I'm transported back many decades... I guess it is Oklahoma...

It's good that their fraternity was disbanded (and they were hence kicked out), but in a way I don't get why they were expelled? Maybe I should read the article.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think they were expelled for creating a hostile learning environment.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad the University shut the frat down, and expelled those members.

This came as no big surprise to me: Fraternities basically exist to perpetuate the status quo, to insure an insular, rich, white male elite.

I think such attitudes are quite common to fraternities; at least that was my experience when I was at Michigan State, maybe less so at U of Maryland, but then, I'm not a student there.

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very sad as someone from Oklahoma, but not altogether unexpected. They were just the ones who got caught. I am glad to see the swift response by the president, David Boren, who is a former Democratic Governor of the state. He's awesome!

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But it was, presumably, in private...

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not once it became public that they would sooner see black students hang from a tree than be in SAE.

The fact that these students are even at the university is a real problem. Prospective students and public figures have now decided not to associate with the University at all because of what this means for their student body. Obviously, there are many wonderful students at UO. But there are also students who want black people dead. And the fact is, SAE created a safe space for those racist students to operate. The other members and pledges of SAE allowed that to happen. They didn't challenge the culture. That means the perpetuated the culture.

18. CyclingFan

Oklahoma lost a top football recruit over this. He's going to Alabama instead.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. It likely translates to the environment of the fraternity, which is part of the university (I think? I don't know much about fraternities). Although this isn't conclusive evidence that it does. Although their views are dumb, they didn't say they were actually going to hang anybody.

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is kind of stupid in my opinion. Oklahoma has a racism problem, but they didn't make a film about the March from Selma to Montgomery (Alabama cities) for nothing!