1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Oklahoma House Votes to Ban All Marriages

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Mar 12, 2015.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Oklahoma House of Representatives today voted 67-24 in favor of a bill that would ban all government-sanctioned marriages and allow the religious official officiating the marriage to issue a "Certificate of marriage" with the court clerk's office, and couples who the churches refuse to marry do not have a religious ceremony would file an "Affidavit of Common-Law Marriage" with the state. The thing is, Oklahoma doesn't recognize common-law marriages, at least presently.

The bill repeals the statutory provision defining marriage in Oklahoma as between a man and a woman, though it doesn't change any laws regarding the minimum age to marry, nor does it allow incestuous marriages.

The bill's author, Rep. Todd Russ of Cordell, Oklahoma, says that it "Fittingly removes the government from the marriage process, and protects county clerks and probate judges who are opposed to same-sex marriages."

Oklahoma House votes to do away with state marriage licenses - Tulsa World: Capitol Report

2. Aldrick

So basically if I understand this correctly, Oklahoma has effectively legalized same sex marriage under the law. The only difference from any other state is that you have to have a third party essentially do the "marrying" part, and THEN you have to file for the papers after the fact.

They just added an unnecessary step, but applied it to everyone equally. They didn't actually get rid of marriages, the state still recognizes them, it will just not officially perform them--just file the paper work.

Am I misunderstanding?

3. Sam I Am

So all you need is a priest/minister/rabbi/etc who will perform a same-sex marriage, and you're good to go?

What's the catch?

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The title is pretty misleading. The law technically will allow same-sex marriages, but only if they are performed by a church. Oklahoma is basically saying "figure it out by yourselves".

It's pretty stupid to define marriage as solely a religious union.

5. Aldrick

Actually, from my understanding, all you need is to be recognized by the state as an ordained minister. This could be of any religion or non-religion. It is perfectly legitimate for an atheist to seek out such a license with the state to perform non-religious marriages. Some atheists like to have ceremonies, but don't want the religious stuff involved. This is how it is done.

I am assuming that this is still valid in the state. I am not sure they could deny it even if they wanted to, due to the First Amendment.

So basically, all they have done is set up an extra step that most people are going to go through anyway.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Judges are also still allowed to perform marriages, though of course they have the right to refuse people as has always been the case.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

7. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Goddammit home state, why you gotta be like that? You're like that homophobic uncle I don't invite to Thanksgiving or somethin! *sigh!* I'm moving soon anyways so pft!

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This whole thing sounds suspiciously like its going to end up being like an old episode of the Simpsons. The town of Springfield legalized gay marriage but the only preacher in town refused to conduct the ceremonies. Homer became an ordained minister so he could perform gay weddings and make money off the deal.