1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Oklahoma Lawmaker Wants Anti-Gay Businesses to Post “No Gays Allowed” Signs.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Mar 14, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

Oklahoma legislator wants anti-gay businesses to post no gays allowed signs.

This would be interesting. I want to see how business goes for places hanging those signs.

2. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a bit worrying. In some areas, a business saying that it doesn't serve gays will come across as a recommendation. Before you know it there could be whole high streets with these signs in every window.

I'm pretty sure there's an amendment against this sort of thing. It's definitely against the vibe of the Constitution anyway.

3. CyclingFan

This rep is trying to make a satirical point here regarding how ridiculous these people are.

Separate but equal in public accommodations is illegal and these signs would be just as illegal as a separate drinking fountain for "coloreds"

4. PurpleGrey

^this!^

What's next? Straight-only bathrooms? Busses? Hospitals? :eusa_doh:

5. DoriaN

Even if it was allowed it'd be bad for the business if more than anything.
    "Oh no, why are we losing business and our property being defaced? Couldn't possibly be our bigotry".

6. iiimee

Exactly! I hate when people pretend discriminating against transgenders and gays and bisexuals is not equal to being racist! We didn't ask to be this way, and it seems only religion wants to stop us from being equal! Granted, not all homophobes are religious, but a great majority of them are! I am a deist, but I understand why many of my LGBT+ friends think religion is a plague.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes this gets so ridiculous and out of hand I have trouble believing that anyone could even consider this.

8. iAmNotGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a disgrace to being a proud Oklahoman.

Dear God Reps. DEAR GOD!

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Emily Virgin is actually the rep from my district! I actually voted for her! All and all I'm glad I did cause clearly she's doing her job here. This "religious freedom" bill is nonsense, bigotry in the guise of a twisted view on constitutional rights... It amazes me how religious freedom gets thrown around as a convenient excuse for hatred and persecution... If it was my religious belief that every morning I had to sacrifice an orphan to appease John Candy's ghost would I be allowed to do that because it's my religious belief? No! I'd be put on death row, or thrown in a mental hospital I'm not sure which... And her move on this? If I can't fight these nutbars, at least I can expose their bigotry to the world, I think that's a damn good move personally... But considering how well that worked with chick-fil-a... Well... Who knows... Either way I think it was a nice move on her part...

Isn't that an issue in Florida right now? Though I guess replace straight with cis~ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Psaurus918

Hm. Sounds familiar to "No blacks allowed" are we going to have separate schools for gays? Separate drinking fountains? Are we going to have to sit in the back of the bus?

What a joke.

11. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to admit that I had an idea along the same lines, although a lot less extreme. I figure that if a private business does not want to conduct a transaction that they believe goes against their personal beliefs or morals then they should post publicly on their store front, in clear and direct wording, that they will not conduct such a transaction.

For example, if a bakery does not want to bake a cake for a gay wedding then they should post a sign in a place where it can be easily seen by any who visit, the front window of a store or the front page of a website, that they will not bake a cake for a "gay" wedding.

Just to reiterate, I believe that this should be something businesses do on their own as a way of avoiding potential problems that might crop up. Government employees should not be allowed to selectively preform their duties as an agent of the state, i.e. only provide marriage licenses to straight couples or Christians. I also do not believe that there should be laws allowing people to ban a person outright from their establishment on the basis that they have a trait the the owner does not like, especially if it is one which the individual has no control over.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gee, the concept sounds ever so familiar...

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can south just succeed from the Union already I am getting tired of them always being on the wrong side history. But than that would suck for those stuck in the South.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We absolutely cannot let the south secede. That would result in widespread human rights violations.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that is why i mentioned it would be a bad idea at the same time. It would make things actually much worse than it is now.

16. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And how exactly are businesses even going to know who's gay?

Two people holding hands, can just be friends, same sex or not or siblings.

All you really have to do is avoid kissing.

I do agree it is wrong. Didn't we already go through this once with a different type of discrimination?

People never learn.

17. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oklahoma isn't part of the "south" it's part of the south west region... :dry:

18. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha, it's the businesses loss, they'll lose a nice portion of their customers. Even a few who aren't gay, and those who they think is straight - but isn't.

19. Pie

Pie Guest

What about a "No bigots allowed" sign? After all I believe that bigots are baby-eating monsters! I should have the right to discriminate against them, thanks to that "Religious freedom" bill!

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

OF course I know it is wikipedia but it is in the South for the most part