1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Atlanta ‘prosperity gospel’ pastor calls on congregation to buy him a new $65 million

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Aldrick

The full story is at the link.

You can't make this crazy stuff up. Fuck the starving children, the homeless, and all the rest, Jesus needs a new Jet!

2. RainDreamer

Re: Atlanta ‘prosperity gospel’ pastor calls on congregation to buy him a new $65 mil

Creflo Dollar?

You sure this isn't an Onion article?

3. Aldrick

Re: Atlanta ‘prosperity gospel’ pastor calls on congregation to buy him a new $65 mil

As far as I know, it is legit. It's from Raw Story.

He's a preacher of the "prosperity gospel" and he probably changed his name to reflect that, and likely to mock the people he cons into giving him money--people who are mostly poor. It is sick.

EDIT: I also did a Google search, just to verify, and it is on CNN and other news outlets. So it is legit.

#3 Aldrick, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Peter: Yo, Jesus, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?
    Jesus: Love the Lord your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
    Peter: I see. But what is after that?
    Jesus: Love your mega-church pastor better than yourself.
    Peter: How can I do this? Please, enlighten me!
    Jesus: He will claim that his immense wealth must be increased, because he is favored by my Father in Heaven.
    Peter: But what about giving away everything to the poor, and having treasure in Heaven?
    Jesus: Peter, what'd I tell you about bringing up Matthew?! Don't nobody like him, anyway!

5. RainDreamer

I still having a hard time believe this isn't satire and there are people actually give him money because he told them "god said so".

This smell like a criminal enterprise masquerading as a religious institution for me.

6. Aldrick

Unfortunately, I am confident that it is not satire. the Root is reporting that he yanked down the funding page after social media backlash. The Huffington Post is reporting on it. As I said CNN was reporting on it. Even the Christian Post is reporting on it.

He was also arrested and charged back in 2012 of "battery, family violence and cruelty to children" in relation to his 15 year old daughter, according to the Root.

He is a legit mega-church Pastor based out of Atlanta, Georgia.

7. RainDreamer

Geeze, and I was reading science news about new advancement in green energy and feeling hopeful about humanity, here we have some guy who just sit there and tell people to give him money because he claim some invisible guy in the sky said that he deserve to be rich. I am not anti-religion, and I have found some good they have done for humanity, but this guy is just running a personal cult.

As I said, it smell almost like a criminal enterprise behind all this. Are they laundering money through "donation" or something? I find it hard to believe that people can just believe in such preaching without one ever wonder if this guy is just spewing bullshit.

8. DoriaN

They all do this, it's incredibly sad. He's just one of many, religion is big business.
    Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, they're all crooked.

"There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: and there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, and desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; and in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house: for I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

9. Aldrick

Indeed. It's not that he's getting rich off his congregation that is surprising, what is shocking is that he is so open about it. At least folks like Pat Robertson have the decency to not flaunt their wealth that they are fleecing from gullible people. What makes this guy more disgusting than all the rest is how he is almost rubbing it in their faces, and though we can see it clearly, he no doubt has many followers who are taken in by his charlatanism. It is sad. It is also exploitative and disgusting.

10. 741852963

What are his bank account details so I can wire some funds across.

Mind you I can only afford to spare $35million, you guys can chip in and make up the rest right? He needs a new jet, its important".

Also, I can't help but laugh everytime I hear the word "MegaChurch" - it just brings to mind a giant ToysRUs superstore. Or power rangers or something! Needs a "Super Deluxe" in there somewhere though for added measure.

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Why does this guys church still have a tax exempt status? It's obviously a scam.

12. photoguy93

He's terrible for asking this, but what scares me more is anyone who actually goes for this. I always say that the person doing the act is the worst, but the others who follow and are involved are almost just as bad.

13. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

A lot of other pastors have done that before him. In one famous case in the 80's Oral Roberts told his supporters that if they didn't give him eight million dollars, got would call him home. It worked. He got over nine million dollars tax free.

There are other prosperity gospel preachers who fly around in private jets while accepting donations from people who rely on social security!

Being a criminal enterprise and being a religious institution are not mutually exclusive.

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Was I the only person who read this and immediately thought of the old Genesis song "Jesus, He Knows Me", especially the video?

Just me then? Alright.

15. tscott

A disgusting abuse of religion, power, and a gullible congregation.