1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8 Protests on Saturday

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Leon481, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How many of you are planning on going?

Personally I'd love to go, but I have no way to get there. I'm looking into the possibility of walking, but it's a fairly long distance and I'm not in the greatest of shape.

If you need the location of a protest in your state, try this site:
    www.jointheimpact.com

2. Markio

I was eating dinner in the cafeteria with a friend who's an RA, and she asked me my position on Prop 8: I said I was against it, of course. I added that I was gay very casually as one of the reasons. She basically asked me if I would like to protest with her at the capitol building of LA, but I'm busy all of Saturday... then she came out to ME! She's bisexual, and we had a really great conversation about coming out and everything. I may not be able to protest, but I have a great friend who was willing to share me her story and the opportunity to protest. I don't have a car, see...

3. Derek the Wolf

Awesomesauce. I'll attend the protest in chi-town if I can get a ride.

4. Nodnarb

Hmmm...The Omaha one is at Memorial Park?

I'll have to figure out what time it is. I have to do something for my aunt at some point on Saturday...but I don't know for sure when that is either....

5. shakerdancee

I have a competition...

6. Grof142007

-.- i have to work but that nothing i can skip that but i have no car :frowning2:

7. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok i am thinking about going but... Are we really gonna do anything? someone realistically tell me my chances...The vote is done and isnt there little to nothing to be done?

8. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It may not have an immediate effect, but a big enough turn out may make the people in charge consider their position on gay rights more seriously. We have to show that we're willing to stand up and be heard and not take stuff like this quietly, otherwise they simply won't care.

9. xequar

I might be going to the Detroit protest. I have plans to go to Toronto for the weekend, but if those fall through (as it's looking like it will right now), I'll be protesting instead.

10. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

The nearest one to my house is three hours away... no way my parents would let me drive that far myself. :frowning2:

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've been promoted to community organizer. :slight_smile: After several inquiries as to whether something was going to happen in my area, I'm organizing a protest. Wish me luck! I've got two days to pull this off so if I'm absent from EC you know why. :grin:

12. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations! Good luck! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

13. biisme

Well, I have something else that my family wants to go to....but I think I'm gonna take the train up to Boston to protest with my sister who goes to college there. I just need to work out train times.... If not, I may try and find someone to go with me to the Providence one.

14. buriedinhw7

I'm definitely going to the one near me! It's two blocks from my house and my friend said he'd cover my shift at work today so there's no stopping me now! I was surprised they were doing it in my city though haha.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks, it was an extremely busy day pulling this off then at 4:30 today I find out we need a permit. My friend tells me there is more room at the county jail now. Evidently they let out some offenders that weren't so threatening as a gay rights activist/daycare provider/ mom. :roflmao: He's going to check on that for me tomorrow and alert the police so they can watch out for our safety.

16. Tim

Tim

I'm debating, my friend just informed me it's at the courthouse, which is like, literally in the center of town, rofl. (Our city always gets criticized cause our prison is literally in the middle of town, if there's ever a breakout... lol).

Anyways, it's at 10:30 AM, which is kind've early :S And plus, I somehow doubt my mom would drive me there for a protest, and it's about 5 miles away >_>;;

17. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's looking more and more like I can't go. The only way I can get there is to walk, at the shortest possible route I can find is about 23 miles. It MIGHT be possible for me to make it that far, but I'd have to leave sometime in the middle of the night and it would be really tough because I'm in fairly bad physical condition. The journey there would be hard enough, but then I'd have to participate in the protest AND make it all the way back. If that doesn't sound bad enough, there's the matter of covering with my family, though I think I could do that with some effort.

I might still try to go, but it depends if I can get the necessary preparations in order and find some way to make my trip easier. It's a cause I care about very much, and I really want to stand up for it. I just haven't decided yet if putting myself through all that would be worth it. It'll be decided by tonight I guess.

It's times like this I wish I had a working bicycle.

18. Julien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am probably going to go if I can figure out train routes(light rail), I need to buy markers and poster board at the bookstore

19. Amy

Amy

FUCK!!!

I might be doing a scene study that day that I blanked on. :frowning2:

But there will be many more if I have any say in the matter.

20. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it's official. I'm not going. If I was unsure about going before, it was the weather tonight that put me over the top. It's very wet and there's a respectable fog out tonight. I'd have to leave in a couple of hours to be able to make it to the protest on foot, and I'm not willing to travel on unfamiliar roads at night in those conditions.