1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Florida anti-transgender bathroom bill moves a step closer to passing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Mar 18, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

Florida anti-transgender bathroom bill moves a step closer to passing | US news | The Guardian

I wonder how they plan to enforce this kind of ridiculous law if it pass. Hands in pants? How different is that from sexual assault?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya know this doesn't make any sense because they have same sex marriage that's complete bull shit what they're requiring for trans people.

3. Summer Rose

Of course, in a backward ass state like FL (which I live in), a trans discrimination bill is closer to passing than I am.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... and a guy can't assault a woman anywhere else?

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They just need to go to the bathroom. It's not like people will be sharing the same stall. These bans serve no good purpose. They are making something that was never a problem into a problem.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree.

7. antibinary

How are they going to check. If you pass well enough...

8. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel a bit sorry for an attacker that can only do so in a public bathroom. It must be hellish constantly being interrupted by people with bursting bladders!

In all seriousness. In public bathrooms for women, every stall has a door and usually a lock. What exactly is the problem? I don't even think I'd mind sharing with men because it's not like they can see anything. As a woman I have absolutely no problem with someone who identifies as a woman using the same bathroom as me and I think this bill is absolute rubbish.

9. MonsterAnarchy

i kinda dont mind this bill. but for different reasons.
    it would be great for trans, but the thing is, people can take advantage of that. like, if a cis guy wanted to pretend to be trans just so he can be in the restroom with girls is pretty pervy. and stuff like that can escalate.
    thats why seperate bathrooms were made to prevent this problem.
    i understand why trans would want to go into their own genders bathroom, but some cis men and cis women would take advantage of that.

10. Quiet Raven

This bill will not reduce attacks. In fact, it would be putting trans people who pass into that danger. If a trans woman who passes enters the woman's washroom, it will look perfectly normal, but if she enters the men's washroom, she may be a target. The kind of target they are ironically trying to prevent with this bill...

Therefore, I think I would rather use the women's washroom after I transition...

11. RainDreamer

First, how would you enforce this kind of bill? Are you going to have bathroom police everywhere? Are you going to put up bounties for people that are just the to pee?
    And then the problem of identification. What about people who are cis but just looked like they are trans? What about people who are intersex? People who are androgynous? Where should these people go?

Finally, sexual assault and perversions can happen betweenpeople of the same sex too. Why are they singling out only transgender people for a crime any one can do? Is that any different than saying it is only black people commits petty crime just because of their skin colour?

12. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I live in Florida, as one may notice, and I find this absolutely outraging and honestly, downright idiotic. How could anyone go about enforcing this? If someone doesn't happen to look like the gender they identify as, will they be asked to use the opposite binary facility? What if they are genderqueer? Or agender? Or pangender? What then? As my best friend says, only in Florida and 'Murica.

#12 nonbinarym, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  13. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is wrong I don't identify as trans but if I walked into the women's bathroom and seen a big buff hairy guy in there just because he was originally born a girl I would be freaked out...just because you may not have the correct anatomy to match your gender doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to use the bathroom...as sad as it is to say it's just like back when they separated bathrooms for different colored people ...it's wrong..what history you do not learn you will repeat and its def showing in this case...there's way more important things to worry about rather than. Who is going to which bathroom!

I got an idea...since the govt has so much time on their hands why don't they focus on making sure the homeless people can have a place to stay and get fed, that the people who get food stamps and govt assistance really need it, that all the animals and kids being abused actually get the treatment they deserve and put the person responsible behind bars...just to name a few

14. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't even comprehend the argument for this. I also cannot find any examples of a trans person going into the bathroom to assault someone or a cisgender person pretending to be trans to assault someone.

15. MonsterAnarchy

That does make sense c:

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2015 at 05:54 PM ----------

Well, some people are very weird minded and would do stuff like that. That's why I made the initial argument. It's very unlikely to happen, but you'd be surprised on how hard people try to assault someone, but I do get where your coming from. It is unlikely to happen.

16. hiddenxrainbows

They don't care about trans people, though, so they don't care if they get attacked. If these people cared about the wellbeing of trans people, they wouldn't be trying to pass laws like this. In a lot of people's minds, if a trans person gets attacked, they asked for it because trans people are sick perverts. This bill isn't to protect trans people, it's to protectthe rest of the populace FROM trans people.

But the US is the land of libery, where everyone is free and equal....Except for minorities, of course.

17. candyjiru

Wow... how disgusting. It's another way to demonize the community and make it seem like transpeople are rushing around trying to jump everyone they can... I hope it doesn't get passed, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did... >.>

18. smurf

Just FYI, the bill died due to the house ending their session three days early. This was mainly due to the threat of having to vote on a bill on whether or not to expand Medicaid

19. Im Hazel

I am never going to force myself on anyone, or have sex with a girl. Their argument centres around the fact that I must be compelled to both. These people need a slap round the face for their transphobia - and homophobia. And general idiocy.

20. Hatsune Miku

"this is the police. we have your bathroom stall surrounded. come out with your hands in the air and your crotch exposed"