1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Daughter of married lesbians against Gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cesar123, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Cesar123

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's a total psychopath.

3. RainDreamer

So...I am not the one who likes to bash religions and stuff, but....huh....yeah...
    I don't know what to say.

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    'I wanted my dad, so gays shouldn't get married.'

I dunno, I strongly believe that children should have both male and female role models, but not necessarily both a dad and a mum.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I dunno, I'm kind of iffy on this. I understand how bad it must feel to not have a specific parent figure, but what about single parents? This happens to them all the time. Divorce and break-ups happen within relationships and children may lose their other parent figure. Women can die during child birth and men can just plain leave after pregnancy. And It's not as if they can force marry or date anyone else, so what are they really supposed to do; kill or abandon the child because they can't provide the correct family structure for them? Should we make single parenting illegal as well and go back to the days of shotgun weddings? This is basically what she is implying.

If your parent is gay I find it difficult to believe there can even be a happy traditional family structure as well since your parents will resent each other and have problems; that hurts the kids too.

And although this doesn't apply to this situation, there are cis men that literally think and act like women and perform mother roles; so you can still lose a stereotypical "dad" figure in a straight relationship. You can have a traditional Dad who abuses you and rapes you as well.

I feel for her really, but I don't want a one time situation to make gay parenting illegal since not everyone is affected this way. My grandma grew up without a father and it never harmed her as you can get male roles elsewhere. My Mom would have been happier without her father since he abused her horribly; she had a better life when her parents divorced and she never had to see him again.

6. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's incredibly stupid and self-centered... Clearly her issues are based on the struggle of the divorce not the lack of a father figure in a lesbian household... "I wished my dad was still around, therefore gay marriage is wrong!" No bitch, just no. You are psychologically damaged not by being raised by two women, but by the fact that your bio parents split up, something that is insanely common in this day and age but you're too stupid to realize it... And so after joining what I can only assume is a fantastically openminded non-brainwashing church, [/sarcasm] you decide that you're going to spread your stupidity to the rest of the world...Good going! :dry: Get a therapist! :tantrum:

Also if you ever want to become violently ill, read the comments section on that page... :dry:

7. lemons123

Lazy to read I admit, BUT:

what if someone has two bad parents who happen to be gay or lesbian and this person generalizes his experience on all gays and lesbians? For example: you meet a dumb jew and you decide that all 8 millions jews are stupid just because you met one of them?

Smells like a huge, massive generalization to me.

This is likely what this case is all about, she thinks all lesbians are bad just because she was unlucky in life.

8. DoriaN

Lots of assumptions being made here, but I can see her point and even agree to parts of it. But the fact of the matter is, life is not perfect. Some get both a mother and father, and loathe both. Some get 1 parent, and adore them. I can understand that she means ideally it would be a man and a woman, but that's not always the case. Though the Dolce and Gabbana thing is not good, I'm against artificial means of producing children, but the whole synthetic comment or notion that people are synthetic is absurd.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

Also don't forget, this woman did have a father, she just did not like him.
    She was already exposed to a father figure, she had that presence and connection, so for her it's different.

If it's a gay couple adopting a child, there will be no 3rd parent in the picture. Sure the child can figure out who their biological parents were, but they likely won't care about them. Their heart and their desire will be with those whom raised them.

This woman likely means well, but I think she's missing some of the beauty families have, 'broken' or not. She longed to have a relationship with the unknown parent factor, which is fine, but that's certainly not the case for other families.

9. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh boy the comments under that article are atrocious. Sadly, some of the comments in this thread aren't much better.

I don't have much time to say much about this, but the large body of available evidence conclusively shows that on average, children of same-sex parents are just as well off in terms of well being as children of opposite-sex parents in apples-to-apples comparisons.

I think that, as often is the case with anti-gay attitudes, the attitudes in the article are rooted in sexism.

10. RainDreamer

The article itself is pretty OK, it is just the woman herself. She was an actual advocate for same sex marriage when she was younger. Then she got to a church. Now here she is.

11. Centore

Centore Guest

Unfortunately, that generally is how the world works. People try one thing then claim all partially related things are bad. :icon_sad:

12. 741852963

Whilst I don't want to undermine her experiences, there is so much blatant naivety in what she is saying:

1. She states she missed having her Dad there, then the article says "She said her father, by contrast, “wasn't a great guy.”" Well which is it? She sounds a spoilt brat.
    2. And surely on her logic married heterosexuals with children should never be allowed to divorce or separate as this would cause profound damage to their kids?
    3. In that case should heterosexual couples have to have parenting and compatibility tests pre-matrimony to avoid this damage?
    4. And the biggest thing: what about the gay people who have no intention of having kids. It doesn't matter if gay parents ae the cause of the next apocalypse (sarcasm), why should childless couples be prevented from getting married? Its not like they can accidentally have kids now is it!

13. RainDreamer

I think we are already over this talk about the definition of family too. As long as all members of the family is happy to be with each others, I would call that a good family.

14. Images and Words

I'm not even gonna read the article.
    Just gonna sigh and shake my head...

15. itsmary

This makes me very sad.
    I want to be a mother but I understand that it may be a little hard to have two mothers... Our kids could get bullied and miss a father... I don't want my child to suffer but I also think that I could be a good mother :/

16. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That young woman doesn't need to sign petitions, she needs a shrink.

17. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Ok just to put this out here

there are some studys saying that for example boys that don't have a father like role model in their lives arew more likely to sexually assault other people.

(i'm neutral to these studys and i don't think it there has to be a father...a father figure maybe)

18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Her argument kinda sounds like how some kids feel about their parents after they divorce. Although, stopping same-sex marriage isn't going to give motherless or fatherless kids that 'missing parent'. Straight couples will just continue to make their own children, divorce kids will have 1 parent, and there will be many orphans without any parents. If you ask me, 2 moms (or 2 dads) is better than 1 (or none).

19. 741852963

I think having role models of both genders is important for children, but I don't think these have to be in the form of parents. For example children of gay male couples could have grandmothers, aunties, godmothers, family friends to act as feminine role models.

But even then I think gender role models are just one part of child development.
    I think we presume as a society that two opposite sex parents are always going to be better for the child than single parents/gay parents. This just isn't necessarily the case. Children with two unloving or abusive hetero parents are naturally going to suffer in their development worse than any from loving single or gay parents.

20. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Honestly...she's right. In the sense that kids should have a father and a mother, she's right. HOWEVER:
    I'm not saying gay people shouldn't get married, or have kids. I'm 100% supportive of both straight and gay marriage; why is there so much division among supporters and opponents? Sexual orientation is not the most important part of parenting, but having a father/mother figure is important; it does matter. Two moms/two dads aren't the same as a straight couple; they're not- it's a fact.

I know I'm arguing for both sides, but that's how I feel: that we should all coexist.