1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mat Staver Calls For "Many Thousands" Of Christians To Disobey SCOTUS Ruling

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Aldrick

Full story here.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When marriage is legalized, I will be masturbating to Matt Staver to celebrate.

~ Adrienne

3. LiquidSwords

Their struggle against marriage equality is as noble as was MLK's against racial discrimination.. right haha

What form will their civil disobedience even take?..

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interestingly, the whole point of civil disobedience is that you're trying to draw attention to the unjustness of the law by publicly suffering the consequences of violating the unjust law. The sympathies of the community are supposed to be thereby energized, because the community, having a sense of justice, hates to see the innocent getting injured by the State. If that component is missing, then it is either the case that the community is so evil that it countenances the violence it sees so far out in the open, or the law is in fact just.

Let them do their civil disobedience, and let us see how much is revealed of the community's sympathies...

Pretty much all of that was plagiarized from John Rawls. I'm a terrible moral philosopher.

~ Adrienne

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gandhi and King are probably rolling around in their graves.

6. RainDreamer

Well, if they "peacefully" disobey, I hope that means they will just refuse services or stuff like that. In those cases we can just leave them to their own devices. The rhetoric this person used though, reminds me of this:[​IMG]

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting that the cartoonist made civil rights a dude.

8. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'll disobey those who disobey. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let them disobey; it will be amusing to make their lives miserable in court, whenever possible, and I'm sure the ACLU, SPLC and other groups have lawyers that would agree.

I imagine these right-wingers being pretty crabby for a good while; it will be key to continue to make gains in terms of LGBT rights in terms of housing, employment and other areas.

Oh, and also 'teach' masturbating, in public schools...just to piss them off. For as long as I've lived, I've heard conservatives complain about this, as if the subject really needed all that much teaching.

Also...who is Matt Staver?

#9 HuskyPup, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  10. RainDreamer

Apparently the cartoonist want to draw a parallel to Jesus himself. It shows how much the religious fanatics has betray the teaching of Jesus by their hateful acts instead of love and compassion. They are basically crucifying Jesus again.

11. I couldn't stop laughing at the comments. Especially the one with this damn picture. :roflmao:

[​IMG]

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every historical proponent of civil disobedience would probably slap the shit out of him for abusing such a powerful and necessary tool to further his corrupt purpose.

^^And what a great comic, RainDreamer. Definitely a punch in the gut.

#12 Argentwing, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would happen? Oh I know. NO ONE CARES.

14. Aldrick

This nut is not the only one. I just found this video posted by Right Wing Watch a couple of days ago.

[YOUTUBE]VhS-YQzcy5I[/YOUTUBE]

"Prepare for martyrdom."

This is the type of rhetoric we are hearing from our enemies.

15. That woman with the 'martyrdom' rhetoric is...insane.

16. Aldrick

The sad truth is that she is not alone. This is what the rhetoric is like over there, and there are hundreds of thousands of people drinking the Kool-Aid. This could manifest itself in violent attacks against us, and certainly it will manifest itself through enhanced discrimination -- that is why we see all these so-called "religious freedom" bills showing up. They are preparing.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is scary. And the Bible is such a violent book, with all these bossy punishments being meted out, that it's perfect fodder for these sorts.

It reminds me how much I simply do not like religion, in general, as it seems to be largely a force of oppression, especially sexually; a way to subjugate the physical, natural animal parts of our selves to some pie-in-the-sky spiritual ideal.

I wish people would keep religion to themselves. I've yet to see any major religion that anything positive to say about being gay or bi, period.

#17 HuskyPup, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  18. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    While I'm not entirely sure they're going to go through with this martyrdom & civil disobedience stuff, I can't be the only person that gets really angry that people like this keep invoking Doctor King and the civil rights movement.

19. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually met Mat Staver once. Until a few months ago he used to be apart of the law school at Liberty University which I (unfortunately) go to. Oh well. I only have a month and a half left at this hell hole till graduation.

Anyway, I am tired of Christians acting like they are being persecuted. They have done far more harm to the gay community than the gay community has done to them.

#19 Ghost93, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of this conservative and religious hubris is directly attributable to their past successes at getting their own way; American conservatives have never been more backward and oppressive, or more off-the-wall religious than they are now. It parallels their success at changing the conversation when it comes to equal rights or the fair and equal distribution of their nation's wealth. The lies and double-speak are indeed frightening; just check out what it's like to work in those "right-to-work" states with their lower wages and busted unions...this whole "religious freedom" bullshit is the same kind of distortion and a true perversion of the idea of liberty under law.

It is no wonder to me that they feel they can get away with this "civil disobedience" too; but maybe it has finally come to a fundamental showdown, maybe they have finally crossed the line, maybe their disregard for the law will be seen for what it is: un-American and unjust. Maybe this outrageous behaviour will finally remind people of the important separation of church and state that has taken such a beating in the last 35 years (since Ronald Reagan, essentially).