1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Puerto Rico Drops Opposition to Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Quem, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend told me the good news and we wanted to share it with you guys. :icon_bigg

More here

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I guess you were not as happy about the news as I was (or at least, not in the mood to write it down :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ), but I decided to give some updates. =)

As you might know, Puerto Rico is quite a religious country: 56% Catholics, 33% Protestants, 8% unaffiliated and 2% others. (Pew Research Center) So it may not come as a surprise that there's been some backslash from some groups:

(Catholic Sentinel)
    I find this to be very unfortunate.. Not surprising, but unfortunate.. I wished they (majority of Catholics) adopted a positive stance about it.. It's also very unfortunate for progressive religious people, as you see religion trying to fight back marriage equality.

1. Religion in Latin America, Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

2. Catholic Sentinel, Catholic group opposes moves by Puerto Rico to allow same-sex marriage

3. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NICE! :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

If Puerto Rico, a very religous country, can do then why doesnt the other country or State in the US can do it? I wish my country can do this also! I mean, there are lots of LGBT groups here (one even is a political partylist) that are proposing this for a long time but our government still dont care.

4. ouji

ouji Guest

That's awesome =) Way to go, Puerto Rico!

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone