1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Commonwealth Freedom of Movement

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Manitoban, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Manitoban

This relates to Australia, Canada, New Zealand And the United Kingdom but others are most certainly free to comment!

There is a proposal going around currently suggesting that people from the key commonwealth realms should be able to move freely amongst one another's nations due to our shared head of state(QEII),History, Culture and legal/political systems.

They suggest that we are so similar in so many ways that putting restrictions on one another makes no sense. They are basing their model off the Trans-Tasman agreement between Australia and New Zealand as well as the EU agreements on movement residency and employment.

So far the New Zealand High Commission in Canada indicated they thought it was interesting. An Australian government MP has backed it. In Canada a CBC poll showed 90% approval but the government seems indifferent. The UK has been mum about the whole thing.

What do you guys think?

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/bri...en-canada-u-k-australia-new-zealand-1.2998105

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be a good idea. =) If there's a demand for this (from all countries), then why not?

The only thing might be that UK citizenship might become even more interesting, since then you have movement in the EU and between Australia, Canada and New Zealand. I'm not aware whether this will make people more likely to get to live in the UK, but I won't be surprised if that happens due to the increased benefits.

3. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Surely you would have to allow free movement between all countries of the commonwealth and not just those four?

4. Manitoban

I believe the UK shutdown the original special commonwealth consideration(that was one way into the UK but not out) because it was open to them all.

What this group is saying is that these core commonwealth nations share much more similarities then Sri Lanka and the UK, or Rwanda and Australia. Remember only 16 commonwealth members still recognize the monarchy as their head of state.

Some have called the group racist because of this, others are saying that its logical to do it this way because the 4 "core" commonwealth nations wouldn't be sending many actual immigrants to one another but it would foster better business ties due to ease of movement.

I'll also mention that these 4 are merging their embassies in some smaller countries for the same reasons plus lower costs obviously.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2015 at 09:32 AM ----------

I think its likely that the UK due to their governments preoccupation with migrants isn't interested. Honestly NZ might be the one to benefit most if it can attract more business and people to its country more easily.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

Due to Australian immigration restrictions this will never go ahead. While immigration of skilled, wealthy and high demand people overall is good, the free movement of people within the EU does have a negative impact on the wealthier countries. People move and claim resources from the state they haven't paid for, send some of their wages home so the host country gets back no VAT or duty from that money then all of a sudden you have to provide more resources to more people, but it all has to be done with national insurance and tax contributions from less people. While the budget the Chancellor lays out has a larger influence on the growth of the economy than immigration, we still find ourselves paying out to people who have barely paid in, not forgetting the tax threshold is now over £10k, it decreases the amount people pay for what they get.

Given the majority of the British public want controlled immigration, I cannot see this flying. Though I do believe if you have served The Crown, either as embassy staff or in the military you should be subject to less criteria to move here.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely, that's why I wanted to point it out. =) The UK has a history with migration, and it's not really viewed as desired by some (if not most).

And about NZ, I think you're right there.

Sorry, that is wrong. You can find evidence that points out otherwise easily:

http://www.oecd.org/migration/mig/OECD Migration Policy Debates Numero 2.pdf

UK and European migration map: Why immigration is good for the economy and immigrants aren't stealing British jobs | City A.M.

#6 Quem, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  7. Foz

Foz Guest

The problem with immigration data is that it is a blanket figure and the fact that the majority of the UKs richest people are immigrants, so we have a situation where the equality gap between immigrants is actually larger. The huge majority of wealthy immigrants are here because they have substantial liquid assets which make them a very valuable for our country to have. Let's not forget, the average person in the UK gets back more than they put in by £1700. I can't bloody find it now but there was a study (either by UCL or LSE) just after our last census that showed once you exclude immigrants with salaries over £36k IIRC (the point at which native brits break even on their contributions and withdrawals on state resources) shows us that EU immigrants cost the economy £1200 more than the same native income group. Although they were 45% less likely to claim JSA, they still could claim child benefit, the main reason for this difference is that there is a higher percentage of immigrants below the tax threshold than native brits and found ~70% sent regularly money home, that's money that the UK will not collect VAT or duty on and is removed from our economic cycle.

The average age of an immigrant who settles here for life is 34, however they will retire at the same age and receive the same pension as a native resident, meanwhile they have paid into the country for 16 years less. This is the problem, if you look at the cost of immigration to the UK before 2000 it was huge, largely due to the fact theat the people who immigrated between 1945 and 1960 had all retired and were economically inactive, come 2000 there were many young immigrants who were working and it brought the cost down.

Lets not forget the damage immigration does to the country they came from. Spain and Portugal are suffering hugely to get infrastructure projects underway as a huge number of skilled workers who worked in that industry before the crash are now in other countries, so they have to pay them more to come back. As a result for the same money those governments are getting less projects done for the same amount of money, so the infrastructure you need for workforce mobility is inhibited. Therefore it costs more money and takes longer for your economy to recover, meaning more people grow tired of not seeing any progress in their country and move - worsening the situation even further.

8. Manitoban

I doubt there would be any mass movement between these countries. Not many pull factors and almost no push factors. I think it would just be more likely for companies to expand from say the UK to Canada or Canada to NZ since companies could more easily move skilled managers around more.

This would actually be better good for Canada who relies so heavily on the US and we desperately need to diversify. And again for NZ for aforementioned reasons.

Interestingly enough when I anecdotally asked people here if they thought the same idea with the US would be good I didn't personally hear one yes. But the same people all supported this idea. Curious to see an affinity to our fellow commonwealth members still exists.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2015 at 12:25 AM ----------

Maybe its because our government still recommends to go to a UK embassy if we can't get to our own and they should take you. Assuming they aren't merged of course.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no real demand for this and no reason apart from vague mentions of cultural similarities, with a tad more than a light touch of colonialist anachronism.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support the idea, but only for people going to Australia. It seems to have a lot of space in the middle.

Now getting back out will be a bit trickier...

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some reservations about doing this within the Commonwealth. To allow freedom of movement to citizens of the 'elite' countries, but maintain restrictions for others seems wrong. I think it could be divisive.