1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Germanwings Airbus A320 crash in French Alps

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CheesyGoose, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CheesyGoose

2. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Such a tragedy. :frowning2:

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it more common, or more reported because of social media?

4. Ryu

Ryu

*whacks head on desk*
    Why? Why don't engineers make better goddamn planes? It's their job! If you can't realise that air transport is **** at the moment and it'd make sense to redesign or improve new planes, go and get a new job! People are dying!
    *sighs heavily and reclines in corpse bed*

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before anyone gets concerned about the safety of planes, realize that air travel is the safest it's ever been. The fatality rate for plane crashes was the lowest since 1946, and even with the MH and the Germanwings Airbus crashes, the total fatality count is down from previous years. You're more likely to die driving a car than flying in a plane. While air travel may be the safest it's ever been, there are some things that do need addressed, particularly the use of commercial and recreational drones.

6. Ryu

Ryu

^
    It's still gonna drop the income for alot of air-travel companies, and that's never good for the fat cats at the top.

7. CheesyGoose

Oh it sure is more reported because of social media. At least people hear about it and we get more intel on why it happened and what can be done to prevent these things. Understandably, it can't always be done. And as Bryan said, air travel is the safest it's ever been right now.

8. LaEsmeralda

Out of all the recent air transport disasters, how many of them have been caused by faulty planes? Malaysian Airlines Flight MH017 would have landed fine if some complete morons in the Ukraine hadn't mistaken a commercial airplane for a military drone and shot it down. And with Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, I believe that the pilot is suspected of taking the plane off course for whatever reason which led to it ending up at the bottom of the ocean.

I'm not normally scared of flying. I took a Malaysian Airlines flight to Thailand two weeks after the MH17 incident and wasn't bothered because I thought the chances of disaster striking in three times in the one place were ridiculously low. I travel to Europe a lot though, and this crash makes me nervous because I never really think of crashes happening on such short flights :confused:

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying its bad that its reported more. But, because information like this is more available, people assume that flying is becoming more dangerous as time goes on. I'm not sure this is the case. We need to be able to distinguish.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2015 at 05:53 PM ----------

I'm going to assume engineering a plane is not a walk in the park. It takes many different people, with many different expertise. It also costs a crap-ton of money. Interestingly, people would probably pay the current air fares with a slightly increased risk than pay exorbitant prices (potentially unaffordable) to use newly build hundreds of million dollar planes. And as mentioned most were not even engineering problems.

#9 Austin, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  10. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    New information has surfaced that one of the pilots of the flight was locked out of the cockpit at the time of the crash.

If that doesn't set off any alarms in your head, then I think there's a problem.

Now, this could be due to any circumstance. Medical emergencies, a suicide mission, terrorism, it's all speculation right now, as they haven't located the plane flight data recorder yet. But when/if they do, it will surely help unravel the mystery of what caused the flight to go down.

11. LaEsmeralda

A really shocking turn isn't it? Imagine all those passengers watching the pilot try to get back into to cockpit while the plane is rapidly descending. Awful!

No terrorist group has claimed responsibility for it yet. Could be a lone sympathiser though.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew something was wrong as soon as I read about the incident. Germanwings, a part of Lufthansa, flying low ... in the Alps? They are a very good outfit and this really seemed out of character. We're all waiting to hear more details about the flight crew and I'm sure we'll get some background information that will cause us to shake our heads. And, as for MH 370, I still don't know what to think. That one rises to the top as far as mind boggling goes.

13. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's also a fact that we fly a lot more than we used to so you will hear of more crashes than before even though the statistical likelihood of a plane crash is the same or possibly lower than it used to be.

Thoughts are with the victims family and friends, very tragic.

15. Foz

Foz Guest

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I speak for others when I say that "deliberate crash by psychotic co-pilot" was not the answer to this mystery that we were expecting.

I figured it wasn't terrorist-related, since terrorists love attention and would want to take credit for it right away and make it known what they did. It was starting to seem like it was an accident until the news today -_-

17. Richie.

This is a tragedy. But one that's happened before. So why do the airlines not fix this flaw? You shouldn't be able to lock the cockpit door from the inside. With all the the technology some secure system such as iris scanner or barcode locking system that only pilots and flight attendants can use to open the cock pit door. Then things like this would less likely happen

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sad, but at the same time, it's weird how much attention things like this get, when every day, many times this number of people are starving to death, or dying due to perfectly treatble illnesses, merely due to lack of resources and the unequal distribution of wealth.

Why do people value the lives of people who can afford to fly on a plane more so than those of the poor?

I've never understood our collective fixation with these types of tragedies, when people are being killed all over the world, in so many even more easily preventable ways.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I notice that, too.

This is a very good point, especially when they give that extra bonus of being mentioned to the dignitaries, CEOs, professional athletes, artists, and entertainers who were on board. It's all because it's deemed more newsworthy. People don't know the little kids who are starving to death in some remote villages in Africa, so I guess they don't count (I'm being facetious).

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...or the 32,719 motor vehicle deaths that happened in 2013 in the United States alone (a number that has declined significantly in recent years).