1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Today Is A Sad Day

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Foz, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

Well for me and others alike. Today Jeremy Clarkson, host of Top Gear and the world's most popular show with an audience of 350 million,was sacked.

To many this may just be trivial news but for me and others it is a very sad day indeed, we love the controversies, outspoken nature of the show and a bond between 3 blokes which is very special. However at the root of it is one shared interest - cars. The first Top Gear came out in 2002 when I was 10 (an incidentally in hospital after having my appendix removed) and from then on cemented cars into the foundation of my life, for many a car is just a box that makes getting to work slightly more convenient but for myself and others they are one of the most important things in life. They are more than just metal and plastic, we treat them like a person, we form a bond and they can even make us laugh or cry - this very emotion which cars carry is embodied so perfectly in the show and is what I will miss. For me my car is an escape from so much trouble in life, this is no more apparent then when on a race track, it's just the most euphoric feeling ever. For the next 25 minutes I don't have to worry about disability, hospitals, university or any demands from people, this is my time. I line up, the lights count down, antilag is firing and cracking away and you can feel it in your body, it feels like you have an angry dog lied up on a leash, the lights go out and you launch. I get thrown back in my seat with such ferocity and my gauges light up red with everything being at the max and then comes the noise. It's a sound of joy, it's magnificent, my tacho goes, green, yellow, RED! I pull back on the gear lever and I get a terrific bang from the exhaust as raw fuel is ignited and I'm launched back into the same savagery again and again with every gear change. In between all this I'm getting to over 130mph, hitting the brakes hard and throwing it into every corner. You just feel all your hard work working for you every single lap and it's such a euphoric feeling that a non-car person won't understand.

That's what I see in the 3 hosts every show, I know they feel the exact same way as me, you see it in their faces every time whether it's a brand new Aston Martin or a £1500 Subaru being driven across Africa. All cars have the ability to make all manner of people feel like this and there is absolutely nothing in the world I would give it up for, it has become my life, all those teenage 'one day' thoughts are here. This is why it upsets me to see the show go, it's the vessel for all that's good in life and it feels like it's sailing for the last time. :tears:

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Foz

Foz Guest

AKA fired

4. LiquidSwords

People act like he's some maverick who doesn't care for pc, as if everything on that show isn't contrived and calculated to cause not quite enough controversy to get sacked.. it's like how edgy and slightly racist can we be without getting into serious trouble and I think it's a bit pathetic

I don't even dislike him mostly he's just really dull at times

The decision to sack him can't really be questioned.. he punched a colleague whilst on a final warning. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a deliberate career move anyway he's probably got a show on itv lined up already

5. Lazuri

Dude, he punched a guy for not bringing him the food he wanted while also being on his final warning for repeated racist remarks. They'd be stupid if they didn't sack him.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She has a good point y'know.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He behaved thoroughly inappropriately. It would be far sadder had he been let off without consequences. And I hope he's properly punished for assault.

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As wonderful as Top Gear was with the trio, I could never truly let go and enjoy Jezza just because you could see how much of a dick he is. Especially with his behaviour, I actually think Top Gear could benefit from this. Afterall Hamster and Cap. Slow are still there.

9. Jellal

lol the mood on this thread did a complete 180

10. Foz

Foz Guest

Well the bottom line is this, yes he did wrong and shouldn't have gotten away with it, this wasn't the correct approach. Even the producer he punched said he didn't want him fired, he just didn't want it to be covered up, there's also the fact that the BBC has never been good at managing big talent, it's not just me saying that, this came from 4 former executives and 2 people who starred on the BBC.

11. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the summary of the report (my emphasis):

Of course he should have lost his job. He punched a colleague. if they had said that he was above the law because of his value that would have been appalling. As others have said, there are few better indications of someone's character than how he treats his subordinates.

I think many people would, after being punched by a national treasure who could gather hundreds of thousands of signatures to a petition to allow him to keep his job after this, not go around saying they wanted him sacked, and instead just choose to keep their heads down.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very simple, you can't attack a colleague and expect to keep your job. Clarkson was in the wrong and we can't reasonably make excuses for anyone who behaves like he did. He may yet face a police investigation.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I basically agree with Aussie792. Sometimes I found Jeremy Clarkson amusing. I still support the BBC's decision to sack him.

I can feel a bit lost at the end of a good anime/film/show. One solution is to watch other anime/films/shows. Sure, it won't be the same, but, there are many awesome things waiting to be discovered. Anyway, Top Gear, is going to continue, without Jeremy... we'll see how that turns out.

14. LaEsmeralda

He's a massive bullying turd and deserved to be fired.

15. Zombi3

I won't be surprised if Oisin gets harassment from Jeremy's fans.

16. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clarkson was an arrogant bully who should have been sacked years ago. The BBC have been negligent in allowing him to get away with it for so long.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This...

It would have created more of a problem to keep him on after something like that..

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Precisely. I'm glad he's gone; as a public figure, it would help to set a better example.

19. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

No more "some say........, all we know is he's called the Stig" :frowning2:.

Im angry at Clarkson for being a twat and ruining one of my favourite shows. He has been warned in the past about his behaviour and now he has crossed the line and has been rightfully sacked. The show wont be the same without him though. I hope another channel picks Top gear up with all 3 presenters and the Stig (I will really miss the Stig).

20. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Exactly this. Not a sad day to me at all. It would've been sad if they didn't do anything, that would've been sending the wrong signal.