1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Religious hate alive and well in USA?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Mar 26, 2015.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More and more religious freedom bills brought in America (USA) as result of US Supreme Court ruling on Hobby Lobby.

Gush I'm going to form a religion that allows me the freedom that, lets sarcastically say, I'm allowed to tie people to a "barb wire fence" and let them die in the cold of night.

Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers - CNN.com

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly it is the opposite of what being a christian is and I cannot wait for religious bigotry to die off.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Founding Fathers of the United States would've been deeply embarrassed by this.

I hope these things will stop soon and vanish quickly.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have I travelled back in time to the 50s or something?

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A question: Are these laws being challenged in court?

I haven't heard very much about what the LGBT community is doing to get these laws repealed. Anyone know if any cases have been brought?

Colorado once passed a ballot initiative that would have allowed broad discrimination in 1996, and this was struck down by the US Supreme Court in the case or Romer V. Evans. That law stated:

"Neither the State of Colorado, through any of its branches or departments, nor any of its agencies, political subdivisions, municipalities or school districts, shall enact, adopt or enforce any statute, regulation, ordinance or policy whereby homosexual, lesbian or bisexual orientation, conduct, practices or relationships shall constitute or otherwise be the basis of or entitle any person or class of persons to have or claim any minority status, quota preferences, protected status or claim of discrimination. This Section of the Constitution shall be in all respects self-executing."

In my mind, if this was found to be unconstitutional, there would already seem to be precedent to declare laws like the one Indiana passed unconstitutional as well.

But it's odd...I haven't heard of any legal challenges lately, or even much mention of their potential.

Also:

How are these businesses supposed to know who is gay? I mean, t's not as if you can tell with any accuracy. This makes the lay absurdly arbitrary.

Well, won't be spending a dime in that state...

#5 HuskyPup, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. Images and Words

Seemingly, yes

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Knew I shouldn't have bought a Delorean :eusa_doh:

8. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mistake was not bringing a copy of Grays Sports Almanac back from 2015.

9. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The HRC blog is usually pretty on top of all legal issues. Here is their latest blog on the topic: HRC Condemns Indiana Governor Mike Pence for Signing Dangerous Anti-LGBT Legislation | Human Rights Campaign

Personally I am deeply saddened by the recent passing of Indiana’s “Religious Freedom Bill,” and its impending discrimination towards the LGBT community. I think what upsets me the most about this Bill is that it once again places more importance on freedom of religion than freedom from discrimination. It feels as though this Bill is validating that being Gay is a “choice” or “belief” that some religious individuals don’t believe in; when in fact as we all understand it is far from that. If anything you are much more free to choose your religion than you are to choose your sexual orientation.

Furthermore, I feel as though it is putting the rights of businesses and corporations, above individuals. Everyone should be free to believe what they want to believe, and love who they want to love, but none of that should have an impact on business, including who is allowed or denied service.

I am however thankful for the people & organizations who have spoken out against this Bill, such as Tim Cook, Apple CEO (via Twitter):