1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Jeb Bush: “People have a right” to refuse services to gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Mar 26, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing how they try to paint this guy as a moderate...when that is farm far from the case. He first tried to bill himself as gay-tolerant, in that he wasn't goping to overtly try to shut down gay marraige, but as for employment and other forms of discrimination...not so much:

Bush:

“I don’t know about the law, but religious freedom is a serious issue, and it’s increasingly so, and I think people that act on their conscience shouldn’t be discriminated against, for sure,” Bush told reporters, speaking on the steps of the Georgia Statehouse. “There should be protections, and so, as it relates to marriage equality — and that may change, the Supreme Court may change that. That automatically then shifts the focus to people of conscience, and, I don’t know, have their faith make — they want to act on their faith, and may not be able to be employed for example.”

Full Story:

“Gay-friendly” Jeb Bush: “People have a right” to refuse services to gays - Salon.com

2. CyclingFan

That's right out of the Jim Crow south. They barely even filed off the serial numbers.

3. AsheTheHuman

Here in 'Murica, we don't want to infringe upon your right to infringe upon others' rights.

4. Rapha Lover

That's complete absurd! :bang:

Religious freedom? Come on! What kind freedom who discriminate people because of your sexual orientation? This man is crazy like a lot of politics how put religious in ''most important issue in the world'' and forget about other rights!

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

As an antitheist, I guess I also have the right to refuse services to religious people.

Oops, I forgot- they wouldn't like that.

6. Ryu

Ryu

So glad I'm English.
    *cough cough 2006 equality act section 46 cough cough*

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    If religious discrimination against gays is okay, then any religious discrimination should be okay. My religion forbid me from talking to people of other races, so I'm going to put up on a sign on my bakery that says "WHITES ONLY". Protected religious freedom, right?

8. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is important to remember that they have a deeply held religious belief, and that the word of God is all supreme.
    It's a similar moral logic that justifies the actions of ISIS. :tantrum:

9. MrK21

...and if they try that shit on me and I will excercise my 2nd ammendment right.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I predict a 40% chance of racism, with some scattered sexism.

But good news, folks!

Thursday is going to lower all that down, to a respectable 32%.

Back to you, Chuck.

11. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm probably going to get shit for this

But I agree with the idea that people should be able to refuse services to certain people

If it's your business it should be your rules

Now this also extends to me thinking the above post about refusing service to religious people is perfectly ok.

Not morally of course. Either case is a horrible thing to do. But people should be allowed to do it because if they're putting their time and money into something, that kind of thing should be their decision.

12. MojoDojo

They like to focus on the freedom of religion, and ignore freedom from religion, don't they?

And no, I don't think they should be allowed to discriminate based on religious beliefs. Absolutely not.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like private companies should have a right to refuse service to anyone they feel like, assuming they don't provide a basic necessity. If they want to alienate a huge portion of the market, let them destroy their business.

14. newfish

Except... that's called discrimination. Why should it be legal to refuse to do business with a person based on sexual orientation, gender, race, etc.?

"Sorry, women aren't allowed to buy chairs. I own this furniture store, and you need to come back with a man."

"I'd sell you the food if you had brown hair, but you don't so... bye."

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2015 at 09:27 PM ----------

My response here is the same as I replied to the above quote. If you're refusing services, it's easy to create a society that totally ignores the "non-essential" needs of a particular group of people.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly Jeb Bush is what will make the presidential race in 2016 more competitive but hopefully he does not stand a chance at winning. We don't need a bigoted Bush at the white house. lol the way that sounds. Time to kick the bushes to the curb. lol sorry cannot help myself!

16. CyclingFan

I still think it's crazy that people in this country could elect another Bush, especially so soon after his disaster of a brother. And his father left the country in a recession too, although not as bad as W's.

Anyway, I think he's falling quite a bit lately. Romney picked the wrong time to bail, there's a good chance he'd be the front runner.

I can't believe we are talking about this so soon...one more reason I like parliamentary systems is the limited campaigning time.

17. MisterTinkles

We've had ENOUGH BUSH in the White House to last for 10 centuries!!!

NO MORE BUSH!!!

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yeah! Make 'em shave...

Wait, what? Oh, that 'Bush'!

19. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right. It is discrimination. And it's an absolutely horrible thing to do.

But it should be legal because as long as they are putting their time and money into something then it is nobody else's business who they serve.

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "nonessential needs" is an oxymoron. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think in terms of this particular issue, society will evolve and legislation isn't needed. A company that discriminates will be alienated and their bottom line will get hurt in the end. A new market will be opened (all the people discriminated against) and someone will happily exploit that new market and offer services that do not discriminate and make a boatload of money. Again, maybe I'm too optimistic about the self-correcting nature of the market. If the issue becauses serious, maybe legislation is needed, but if a couple stores want to discriminate (again, for non-essential items), then whatever. The less laws tell us how to act, the better.