1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 19 states that have ‘religious freedom’ laws like Indiana’s that no one is boycotting

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Mar 29, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: 19 states that have ‘religious freedom’ laws like Indiana’s that no one is boycot

I'd support a nationwide campaign through the legal system that was like DOMA's to help repeal the national RFRA. If that happens, the other 20 state laws would be dominoes.

Why It

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Re: 19 states that have ‘religious freedom’ laws like Indiana’s that no one is boycot

I would just like to clarify that most of these states on the map haven't actually passed the law. It definitely will fail in Illinois. (And I think it already did fail...)

Mississippi did, however, pass it quite a while ago. I was surprised by the lack of outrage in it.

4. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If anyone wants a detailed analysis of how Indiana's RFRA is different, check out this blog.

blog.

This has been put in place because we successfully stopped them from putting a ban on gay marriage into the Indiana State Constitution last year. Shortly after that, the state law that banned gay marriage was struck down here. I'm LOVING watching the Republicans try to squirm their way out of the backlash. I don't think we are going to get LGBT civil rights legislation right away, but it gives me hope that we will be able to break the Republican supermajority in 2016.

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Can anyone who understands the legal part of the bill better than I tell me if this new law could also potentially be used by someone to discriminate against someone of another religion also?

6. Polka Dots

I'm by no means a legal authority, but given Indiana does not have a statewide hate crime statute, that could probably happen.

Info here.

From what I've read SC is also another state with RFRA that doesn't have a statewide hate crime statute.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

[​IMG]

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

So R the red started the ones where religious freedom bill has passed? :dry:

9. CyclingFan

As others have noted, indianas is notably different from those in other states and the federal governments. And it's the difference that makes it objectionable in ways that the other bills are not.

They'll try something else next. I suspect this will be the last one of these that gets passed, given the amount of corporate backlash this has inspired.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Yes, Apple, let's do business in Saudi Arabia, but not Indiana... hypocracy check...

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah Sean Hannity who I never agree much on anything last night made a good point that boycotting is ridiculous because the same companies do business in countries like Saudi Arabia or even Russia. It is really hypocritical.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't think Hannity's point is very relevant.

Of course companies do business in Saudi Arabia, and we don't see a massive boycott. Why is that?

1. They have a lot of oil, and can almost 'set' the global price; 2. Boycotting them would have little impact, as they would find other markets, and it could also cause world markets to be thrown into chaos, causing huge price spikes. It would take a boycott on a global level and even then, how this would effect positive change is much more doubtful and complex. It may simply increase anti-American resentment by stressing cultural dissimilarities.

Indiana, on the other hand, does not have the sort of clout a Saudi Arabia has in terms of resources; when businesses and conventions decide to pull out, the economic impact sends a strong message, and things happen. It is also part of the US, culturally similar, and thus easier to effect chnage.

It may seem hypocritical, but one is not always able to do everything consistently in the effort to effect positive change. Though it may not be ideal, the pressure against Indiana has yielded results; one might bang their head against the wall of Saudi Arabia's injustice for a long time with no such outcome. (At least until they run out of oil)

#12 HuskyPup, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah that is true but and not that I agree with the the law in Indiana but at least we don't have to worry about being beaten up in Russia or stoned to death in Saudi Arabia. That is far worse than any religious freedom law. But yeah i see your point.

14. CyclingFan

1000 times this. Leveraging your power where you have an advantage isn't hypocrisy, it's smart strategy. "Suicide" tactics help no one, and I care much more about actual results than some "purity of the heart" metric.

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Just an addition to this:

Illinois (and I think those other states) has protections for LGBT people, which is why the RFRAs can work in the way that everybody can agree on. Indiana does not have such protections.

16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I makes me mad that they use the word "freedom." It's like saying Hitler deserved the freedom to kill Jews.

17. CyclingFan

Or white men deserved the freedom to own slaves. They make exactly the same arguments now as then.