1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Connecticut bill makes it easier for transgender people to update birth certificates

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Mar 29, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Connecticut bill makes it easier for transgender people to update birth certifica

Gave me a scare for a second. I could only read "Connecticut Bill makes it..." and I wasn't sure if it was another anti-gay bill passing house, senate or both.

On the flipside to this, AWESOME! At least one of our states is updating on these understandings, and quite quickly, I'll add!

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Connecticut bill makes it easier for transgender people to update birth certifica

Good! I'm not going to discuss (or respond to any replies about) it here because I don't want to derail this thread but many people know how I felt about the planet fitness locker room incident and gendered bathroom policies for transgender people. With that in mind, I love to see this because I think it gives both sides what they want. If transgender people can legally change their sex easier, there wouldn't even be an issue and neither side has to compromise. Good solution.

As a side note, maybe someone can educate me about this... I still get confused on the difference between sex and gender. I don't think birth certificates record your gender; they record your sex. Is transsexual and transgender one in the same except the former has undergone surgery? I feel like a lot of people stress the difference between sex and gender but in cases like these they seem fairly intimately related -- in the way that a trans"gender" person will want to change their biological "sex." Similarly, articles like this use the terms interchangeably it seems.

Anyways great to see this!

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The definition I've seen most is sex is what's between the legs, gender is between the ears. And the standard for birth certificates varies from location to location, however most do label it gender.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Cool~. ^.^

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That's what I thought. Well, birth certificates are confused then because they are based on your birth sex not gender, since you can't even communicate your gender at birth... So I guess they mix the definitions up as well.