1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News LGBT are now fascist bullies?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cesar123, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Cesar123

2. RainDreamer

It is fox news. Not the first time they equate LGBT people with nazi, and themselves as being the persecuted underdog. Just show how much they know history.

3. Cesar123

I think it's ridicious! I'm tired of being subjugated to other people's belief. The LGBT community in the area just want to be treated like everyone else ( including being served for the gay marriage ). But now apparently we are the bad guy for it? Them shutting down there store was justice...If we are going to outcasted and not be served than they should be outcasted and not serve anyone too!

4. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

So it sounds like you would be fine with the government forcing people to go against their own conscience and beliefs. Fine them, shut them down, put them in prison for not following "conventional wisdom."

Is that a fair assessment of your position?

5. AKTodd

Define 'conscience', define 'beliefs'. If someone claims that their sincere religious beliefs state that black people shouldn't be able to use the same facities or vote is that ok? Same question applied to women.

This claim of 'sincere belief' has been waved around before, you know.

I fail to see any difference here.

Todd

6. CyclingFan

Who is being put in prison or threatened to be put in prison?

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You're misrepresenting what they said. The government didn't force them to close. People have a right to boycott a business and say bad things about them--that's how freedom of speech works. If that causes a business to shut down, then tough luck.

However, on the other hand, the article says that "threats" were sent. Threats are another issue and are not protected. So while I support the right of people to shame a business (doesn't mean I would do it, but you have a right to do it), sending death threats or threats of vandalism should not be allowed.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They did not sure down because the government made them, they shut down because the public does not want to support a business that denies rights to others. That's not a fair assessment of what he said because a boycott is not the same thing as government intervention.

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    On one hand, I agree that this issue is being overblown. I don't want business that don't cater to gay people to be forced to. Why would any self-respecting gay couple want a wedding cake from a business that doesn't agree with same-sex marriage? Would you really go back to that business just because the government is now "forcing" them to cater to you?

So while I don't think there's anything wrong with "word of mouth" and "public pressure" discouraging discrimination by a business, I don't think a government law should necessarily force these businesses to change their practice. "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". I see that sign all over the place.

10. LiquidSwords

Yes but they still have to operate within the law just putting up a disclaimer like that doesn't exempt them. Certainly a business couldn't refuse service based on something like race or gender or other protected class

You shouldn't have to check that businesses aren't homophobic every time you want to spend money somewhere it shouldn't even be a point of consideration.

To op.. bigots crying bigot when their bigotry is called out are the worst.. it's amazing how many people buy this line. Poor bigots aren't allowed to be as bigoted as before wahh

#10 LiquidSwords, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all honestly if I found out a business was homophobic and support anti gay causes I would probably boycott it anyway. But on the other hand a business that operates on a public street in the public eye should be ordered to serve all the public. IF you want to express your religious views in such a demeaning way than you should not be operating a public business. Why should it be any of your business whether two gay men are peacefully and respectfully dinning at your restaurant no physical behavior of any kind just simply eating a nice meal. I mean I think the only reason and this applies to straight people too if they are being overly affectionate yeah than you should have the right to kick them out. Of course they can abuse that right and only kick out affectionate gay couples but you get what I mean.

Anyway hope this problem makes the Indiana senate and governor's race competitive in 2016 and it just might.

12. Cesar123

I
    The U.S. government already has done something like that. The bible was used to justify slavery before the civil war. Now it being used to justify discrimination to the LGBT by claiming it against their religion. People will always use religion to discriminate and justify it. So, yes, I do believe it is our government job to ensure equality for all and make discrimination as minimal as possible. However this was not the case in this pizzeria. It was the people around the area that did this! We are not forcing our beliefs on them so why are we to live in the mercy of theirs?

#12 Cesar123, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  13. BelleFromHell

Agreed. It's just like the Duck Dynasty controversy. After Phil Robertson's homophobic rant(s), A&E decided that his views did not reflect their's and stopped airing the show. The religious-right gets their panties in a wad and rushes to defend his 1st amendment rights, not realizing that A&E also has the right to cut ties with him and shutdown the show.

The government doesn't need to rush to rescue Ma and Pop from going out of business just because they're stupid enough to refuse service to LGBT people. If they have the right to be homophobic, I have the right to give them bad reviews and never use their services again. Freedom of speech is a double-edged sword.

14. BelleFromHell

They do realize that homosexuals were round up by the Gestapo and sent to concentration camps, right? There was an active gay-rights movement in Germany before the Nazi takeover, and all gay-rights organizations were banned shortly after Hitler became chancellor in 1933. An estimated minimum of 50,000 homosexuals died during the Holocaust, and I don't even think that counts the lesbian/non-conforming women who were labeled "asocial" and killed in the camps. Of course, you won't read about any of this is most history books as that would be "pushing our agenda". *rolls eyes*

I could go on and on about the extreme homophobia of Nazi Germany, but I think my point was made. A LGBT person being compared to the Nazis is the equivalent of a black person being compared to the KKK.

15. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Memories Pizza, the business that received the threats, has earned $727,000 in donations:

$727,723.00 Donated to Memories Pizza

The more the "gay mafia" goes after small businesses like this, the worse we look.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, bigoted conservative Christians will look terrible for doing this in the end. Just think, our grandchildren will look at this 50 years from now the same way we look at how people supported businesses that segregate back in the day. It's pretty comical that people will stick to their weird bigoted societal views that they'll donate hundreds of dollars to a pizza shop they'll never frequent.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. In all honestly though christians are also being slaughtered day by day. They are just as victimized and discriminated against as anybody else. There are millions of dead christians just as they are glbt as just as there were blacks and just as there were jews. If we could all agreed that being victimized through out world is equally a bad thing than the world would be a better place. No likes to be discriminated and no likes to be victimized so I wish we could just stop fighting over who was has it worse and who is the real victim. It is the America the land of the free?

18. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Shows what people know about history...

you know...the nazis also had something against gay people

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2015 at 11:00 PM ----------

Also calling anyone"fascist" or "nazi" is respect less

19. Ryu

Ryu

Wow. The world is becoming more and more miserable by the day... At least I live in England...

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I think it's time to summon the Pinkshirts.