1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Just in: Indiana GOP submits a "fix" to RFRA

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, Apr 2, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...and it is amazing!

Naturally, the amendments to the law will be debated before it is presented to Gov. Pence for signature, but there are now explicit protections from discrimination based on sexual orientation, this is very significant (and they probably realized that nothing less would satisfy their critics).

Indiana Lawmakers Announce Proposed Religious Freedom Law Changes

The three homophobic assholes (one of whom helped write the bill) who stood behind Pence when he signed the odious RFRA last week will be wondering what else they can do to further their agenda...

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well this sounds like a positive step.

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is also specific protections for transgender people. Just wanted to add that, since it wasn't in the original post and you never know. :slight_smile: But I really posted because I want to join in on the GIF fun!

Here's to the three homophobic assholes:

[​IMG]

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My response to the homophobes who wrote the previous bill:

[​IMG]

Also, I love that they covered ALL their bases, not just LGBT people.

6. RainDreamer

Nice. Religious people get to practice their religions without problems, and we do not get discriminated. I would settle for this compromise.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I support this. Hopefully, this bill includes gender identity as well.

8. This is a good step up.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it has just been reported that Gov. Pence has signed the revised RFRA (probably muttering to himself *this is the last time I let those bigoted wing-nuts darken my door*).

Predictably, the boosters of the original RFRA are a-bitchin'

But the most chutzpah-laden comment from their press release is the following:

It takes a particular set of cojones to make a statement like that when the original RFRA was signed behind closed doors!

10. CyclingFan

More "projection" than at a 26 screen Cineplex. :slight_smile:

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I swear these people think more about gay sex than I do. :grin:

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Big caveat in all this -

It's a step in the right direction, but it's not a solution by any means.

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my homophobic co workers is livid with the republicans in indiana over this for in her words, "caving to the corporations that love ------- and hate Christians."
    She is of the opinion that the Governor should've said that protecting peoples religious rights were more important than business interests, that "God's word is not for sale." She also said that Indiana's law was exactly the same as the federal law, I told her no it isn't, the language is different and told her what the difference is. She said what's the point of passing the law if you have to sell to ------? She then started with, "Rush said" and Sean Hannity said" blah blah. This is the level of ignorance I hear on occasion.

14. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it does! We're now looking to the 2016 elections. Hoping we can break the Republican supermajority and get the LGBT community added to state civil rights laws. The funny thing is no one would think that possible before RFRA, now even the GOP House Speaker is admitting that fight is inevitable in 2016. The Indiana GOP really shot themselves in the foot here.

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ??? How??? Is this a hammer to destroy religious freedom? There are some things I'd like to change with it, particularly institutions like churches being allowed to turn away gays. But here, the main difference is taxes.

Every moderate Republican I have seen supports this amendment, because it still allows for smaller government.

16. Aldrick

I hope everyone that called us "bullies," "fascists," and worse for our aggressive actions toward Indiana take a good hard long look at this victory. Look at what we won: not only did they "fix" their RFRA, we have created a strong firewall to help slow the progression of this form of bigotry.

Look at how many governors say they won't sign similar legislation now, at least not with comprehensive protections in the law for us.

Although discrimination is still legal in Indiana, the areas where protections exist on a local level can remain unchallenged thanks to the changes made to the RFRA. Just as important, this is a major defeat for our enemies, and it proves that even in a conservative state like Indiana, we can defeat them on their "religious freedom" bullshit.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what is point of these laws anyway. It is not like they are gonna ask every person that walks in if they are gay and kick them out. I say let them have their stupid religious freedom law cause the joke is on them. I probably wouldn't want to spend my money there anyway.

18. CyclingFan

I think BellefromHell really nailed just how insulting and ridiculous it is to compare lgbt people to fascists, considering what the nazis did. And no, "liberal fascism" isn't actuslly a thing.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/2572384-post14.html

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more I think about this though the more it makes sense for people to have their businesses where it caters to a certain crowd. Let gay friendly businesses promote acceptance and let anti gay friendly businesses promote their conservative ideals. Would it really matter if business catered to a certain group of people and refused to serve anyone else. Cause honestly I would be glad to not be allowed in some businesses. God knows how that money is being spent and I actually would not want to spend my money at a place owned by bigots. It is their problem if they lose customers and that is that.

Sean Hannity and Fox News been obsessed with pointing out this hypocrisy that big companies sell their items to anti women anti gay countries but when it happens in America they get all offended. For once and it is not often I agree with Fox News on that analogy. I don't care what excuse it is for them sell items to countries that stone gays to death it is flat out hypocritical and selfish. We live in America the land of the free and you may not like bigotry but I certainly accept that people have a right to their opinion no matter how fucked up is it is. Let them have their religious freedom.

20. Aldrick

Indeed. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing American Christians crying about persecution. For centuries we have endured horrors unimaginable at the hands of Christian bigots: thrown into prisons, locked in mental institutions, chemically and physically castrated, lobotomized, tortured with electroshock, thrown into Nazi Concentration Camps (and when all the other prisoners were set free--we were the only ones placed back in jails), hanged, shot, and burned alive by governments, and have been the victims of medical experimentation all the while being social outcasts living in fear and terror. We have even endured plague while Christians sat around, gleefully cheering and praying for all the "sodomites" to die of AIDS--I know that for a fact, because I saw that first hand. We fought for generations to get what little rights we have today, and even now we still are not free and equal. Even what little freedom we have is highly localized to certain areas around the United States, and it gets worse if we leave the country.

Here we are, with what little bit of freedom and equality we have won, fighting against the people who have tormented us for generations who in turn try and make themselves out to be victims. They ignore the history of what we have endured, what we have suffered at their hands, wonder why we're angry, and call us bullies, fascists, and worse when we stand up for ourselves.

...and why are we bullies and fascists? Because we won't let them continue discriminating against us. Or, rather, I should say other straight people won't allow them to continue discriminating against us. We are too small of a minority and too spread out to hold a strong enough impact on our own, it is only with the support of our straight allies that so much of what we have achieved has been possible.

So, it is disgusting to me, with this history that hangs over us to see these Christians crawl up onto a cross. Get the fuck down, Christians. Give the cross back to Jesus. You are not a martyr.

#20 Aldrick, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015