1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Terrorist attack in Kenya kills 70; hundreds held hostage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TENNYSON, Apr 2, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    More than 70 dead in Al-Shabaab attack on Kenyan college, as Christians reportedly held hostage | Fox News

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/03/world/africa/garissa-university-college-shooting-in-kenya.html

Al-Shabaab, an Islamist group similar to ISIS and Boko Haram, attacked a university in eastern Kenya today, killing at least 70, most of them students (especially Christians), and now hundreds are supposedly being held hostage as well.

"We sorted people out and released the Muslims," a gunman told Reuters.

Unlike many people, I can't just turn a blind eye to this kind of thing. I can't just say "Oh well, it's Africa--Africa's messed up." I used to live in Africa and I'm an Afrophile. I feel for these places, but I hate not being able to do anything.

Do you think attacks like this will only increase in frequency and intensity? How do poor African nations deal with things like this?

#1 TENNYSON, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is heart breaking! It's sad that the media doesn't pay enough attention to terror in countries like this. :frowning2: The worst part is, these types of events aren't too uncommon in that part of the world.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah they aren't. Not to diminish what's going on in the US, but on another site I post on, all the political topics are about Indiana and "the gays"...I wish people would spend more time on stuff like this, because there has to be a way to stop these kinds of things. I refuse to accept that we/they can't do anything about it.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Agreed. Around the time of the Charlie Hebdo attack, Boko Haram killed up to 2000 people and practically wiped off an entire village off the Nigerian map. The majority of the media attention was directed to Charlie Hebdo attacks. While both events are terrible, it seems that people only care about countries/places that are significant to them. Sadly, I think this is just how people do and will continue to think like.

6. Lazuri

And there's your reason for not really being reported in the news.

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well luckily it is in the headlines right now--at least on Google, NYT, and CNN.

8. Gen

Gen

These attacks will not become more severe. They are already far more severe. The Boko Harem have been carrying out far greater massacres in Africa than this occurrence. It is only when journalists in the west have nothing else to write about that these stories gain traction. It is not the fact that these nations are less wealthy that prevents change from occurring it is the fact that the attention on an international scale simply isn't there. Terrorists organizations attack with the intention of challenging a government. No matter how strong that government is they are rarely persuaded to stop rebelling for the sake of the regional power. If they though that they weren't strong enough to challenge the government then they wouldn't go up against it.

This is why symbols of solidarity such as were seen in France only a few months ago crucial in confronting terrorism. This simply doesn't happen in the Middle East, Eastern Asia, Western Africa, etc. The rest of the world does not care when their people die.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww that's horrible! :frowning2: