1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now Canada?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by nemo, Nov 16, 2008.

1. nemo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I was sitting, reading the paper and I read this article about reorganizing the Anglican church in north america. They were talking about greater connections to Christ. and lots of other stuff and they said some of the obstacles of this are "same-sex marriages and other issues".:eek: So now the dumb beliefs against gays are infiltrating Canada and I am tissed! If I have to watch a similar to prop 8 thing I will freak!

2. Amy

Amy

Ah, hell no!

These people have problems.

3. Peter

This is not a Canadian issue. This is an issue within the Anglican Communion. The Anglican church has always had a fairly decentralized approach to their belief, by opposition to many other organized churches. As a result, we have gay bishops in the US and fundamentalist anti-gay attitudes in Africa. The English (as usual) are quite happy on the fence. Some people want to split the Anglican church, others want to reunite by taking a strong stance. This is more complicated than it sounds, but don't worry, this is not a Canadian issue, this is an issue throughout all the ex-British colonies (except those that have decided to go Muslim, Hindu or others)

4. No One

you do know that Canada is a ex-British colony right? Canada was a British colony until around the 1st or 2nd world war

5. xequar

Canada was a British colony until 1867, when they became a mostly independent "Dominion." Basically, that meant they were independent, except they had to have British permission to change their constitution, until 1982 or so.

The big thing that seems to be happening up there right now is that they're becoming as polarized politically as the U.S. has been for the past few years. And just like in the U.S., conservatives there are bad for everything, especially gay rights. At least, however, they have a decision from their Supreme Court regarding their Charter of Rights, so the government can't mess with it too much (at least as I understand it).

In the meantime, though, the churches up there are getting more vocal and causing more problems.

6. Halo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Canadian gay rights will not change, unless there is a war I think...lol... Canadians consider minorty rights collectively rather than individual disagreements...the other day I found out about a queer church in Victoria BC and it sounds like a pretty cool place to go to worship if you believe in religion...well laws do effect people in coming out, I feel sad that they changed the law in California...all those people struggling in coming out are more oppressed as a result...unfortunately there are people in power that are against minorities...

7. Choucho

Unless the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms magically stops existing, which the people of Canada would never stand for, then there's nothing that can be done about the legal right for gays to marry.

Canada is ruled by judicial supremecy, meaning all laws must be passed by a pannel of Supreme Court Judges who are bound by the Charter, and once they make a decision the government is comlpetely powerless against it.

In other words, you don't have to worry about anything like Prop 8 going on here.

8. Linkmaste

^ Absoultly true and that is why I love Canada :slight_smile:. Glad to be Canadian but it gives us more confidence to help out the others in US with the Prop 8 crap. :frowning2:

9. No One

I know i died inside when i found out that prop. 8 got passed because i live in Michigan and Michigan is a state that usually follows suit with California ugh man i thought that maybe i would be able to marry when i got older. now there are people starting to attack our right to adopt because they say we will spread the sickness AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!