1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Muslim Bakery Deny "Gay" Couple Wedding Cake

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ConfusedSurfer, Apr 3, 2015.

1. ConfusedSurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    What do you guys think about this?

Link: A Guy Walked Into a Muslim Bakery and Ordered a Gay Wedding Cake… | PJ Tatler

[YOUTUBE]RgWIhYAtan4[/YOUTUBE]

It an obvious set up but should we not seek that Muslim bakeries are forced to follow the same laws as everyone else?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steven Crowder is not a respectable journalist, so I will take anything he says or captures on tape with a grain of salt.

And yes, nondiscrimination laws would apply to Muslim bakeries as well.

3. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well personally I don't think any bakeries should be "forced" to do anything, but yes, if Christian bakeries are going to be forced to make a "gay wedding cake" against their religious beliefs, then it must also apply to Muslim bakeries.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with BryanM. =)

5. Aldrick

Okay, I listened to this idiot.

His argument is one that I am familiar with: 'Yes, I am a Christian bigot who wants to discriminate against gay people. However, did you know that Muslims are much worse?! It's not fair that you are going after me!'

My response: I don't discriminate. I think you are both bigots equally, and work against you both equally. The only difference happens to be that most Muslims happen to be in a different country, making them difficult to access. I am, however, very glad you are concerned about my brothers and sisters abroad. Don't worry though, once bigots like you are completely marginalized from our political system and our government stands behind gay rights 100%, we will use the United States political influence to go after those nations. We just have to get you out of the way first, because you are one of the major promoters of that bigotry abroad.

6. CyclingFan

All this carping about being "forced" to serve people you are bigoted towards is ridiculous, frankly. This has been the law of the land for 50 years, that if you open a business you are not allowed to discriminate against people who have been discriminated against historically. All that's being asked is to add another group of citizens to that list.

In some ways, this isn't new. Businesses were already "forced" to act as a public accommodation if they want to be granted a license to operate. It's hardly tyrannical to submit to laws that have been democratically enacted, and it's especially funny to see exactly the same arguments from the sixties advanced as though laws protecting lgbt people were a brand new, untested change in our society.

And of course these laws should apply to Muslim bakers just as they do for Christian bakers. It's pretty funny that he acts like this is some "gotcha" against liberals. Personally, I think he's a weirdo for going around and making a big deal about trying to order something he doesn't want.