1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News S. Korea bans any mention of homosexuality in sex ed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by candyjiru, Apr 3, 2015.

1. candyjiru

:bang:South Korea schools banned from teaching about homosexuality | Gay Star News

South Korea schools banned from teaching about homosexuality

Terms for non-heterosexual orientations are forbidden and LGBTI-related information has to be removed
    02 APRIL 2015 | BY DARREN WEE

South Korea has banned schools from teaching about homosexuality in the conservative country’s first guidelines on sex education.

Training materials, issued to education offices in every city and province on 29 March, stated that ‘teaching about homosexuality is not permitted.’

‘Sex education is not intended to be an opportunity for teachers to share their views on sexuality,’ it added.

The document also forbids the use of terms for non-heteroxual orientations and orders schools to remove LGBTI-related information from their current curriculums.

The guidelines have been criticized by human rights activists for failing LGBTI students who are often bullied at school. A 2014 Law and Policy Research Group for Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity survey found that 45.7% of LGBTI South Koreans under the age of 18 had attempted suicide.

‘It is urgent that we create sex-ed standards that move away from abstinence education, but staunch opposition from conservative groups to the initial draft made it difficult to reach a compromise,' an official at the Ministry of Health told the Hankyoreh newspaper.

A draft of the standards that was released in April last year that included references to homosexuality. But it met with a fierce backlash from the Korean Association of Church Communication and other Christian groups, that warned that homosexuality had dangerous effects on society.

'Our plan is to publish the standards that are possible right now and to work to create a social consensus moving forward,' the official said.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's sad news.. =\ A step backwards..

3. RainDreamer

I am not expecting much dramatic changes in Asia soon. Probably another 5-10 years. Gonna take time, slowly.

4. I honestly thought that South Korea would be one of the more progressive societies in Asia. Technically I guess it could be - still, a step in the wrong direction, almost like where Russia is going.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So they took the coward's way out and caved to a load of Christian idiots.

Proper sex ed is probably one of the most important things kids are going to learn in school, but a lot of places still buy this idea that fundamentalist Christians know best when it comes to the content and availability of it.

It's bafflingly cavalier.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad to see.

I think this also the case in many parts of the US, that have that, 'Abstinence Only' approach, too.

7. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sad to see a country that's become so successful and good in a short time, completely turn around.

8. WearyWanderer

Unsurprising. Most countries outside of the Western world and some Latin American countries are still very homophobic. I think the most progressive country in Asia in regards to homosexuality is Vietnam, and that's saying something.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The conservative country? South Korea has the biggest density of effeminate (and incredibly hot) guys that I know of! I did remember they had platonic touching in their school culture that was distinctly separated from being gay, but it's a shame to hear they are quite this much against it.

10. candyjiru

Living here as an expat, most people's first response to non-heterosexuality is "Eww!" They even have clubs where lesbians and gay guys get together, find friends and get married so that both partners are aware that the other will be with another person and yet they can still have someone to show to their families and say, "Look! I'm married! I'm not gay!" It's getting a little more open and Seoul and some other cities have even had Pride events, but for the most part, it's an uphill battle... T.T

11. Im Hazel

Isn't this more to do with a low fertility rate, rather than Christianity? Not that that makes it better...

12. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait, they mean North Korea, right? The one with the pudgy guy with a bad haircut in charge.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true in AZ they can't speak a word about gay sex in sex Ed.

14. Ryu

Ryu

I thought they meant north korea as well, but then I thought 'but korea dosen't have schools, it has things more akin to concentration camps... Oh yeah, wrong Korea...'

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Of course.. While Japan is advancing, Korea stays behind

16. Void Puppy

This is unfortunate. I really wanted to visit Korea some day and hopefully by that time they'll have fixed issues like these :/

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :tantrum: What, why!?

18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They have schools in North Korea... I think. Considering their strict anti-religion regime, I wonder what their stance on LGBTQ stuff is there? Nobody really knows because they (North Korea) never answer their phone. (There's a hotline from Seoul to Pyongyang, Pyongyang hasn't picked up in quite some time from what I understand.)

19. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Apperantly homosexual activity (not marriage) is legal in North Korea... But everyone is coerced into heretosexual marriage.

The Korean Friendship Association says

"Due to tradition in Korean culture, it is not customary for individuals of any sexual orientation to engage in public displays of affection. As a country that has embraced science and rationalism, the DPRK recognizes that many individuals are born with homosexuality as a genetic trait and treats them with due respect. Homosexuals in the DPRK have never been subject to repression, as in many capitalist regimes around the world. However, North Koreans also place a lot of emphasis on social harmony and morals. Therefore, the DPRK rejects many characteristics of the popular gay culture in the West, which many perceive to embrace consumerism, classism and promiscuity."

20. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, not being able to marry but being able to be gay without getting beheaded is better than say, Iran, so that makes North Korea's LGBTQ stance...progressive? My head hurts.

Oh my god, I just found a rainbow DPRK flag picture...

[​IMG]

#20 Benway, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015