1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News San Francisco Police Department suspends 7 cops for racist text messages

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Apr 4, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Gen

Gen

It is not simply the use of slurs either. The actually messages that have been released to the public are vile.

You can't even be surprised by these new stories because clearly racism exists across all borders, but there are entire states in this country where racist, homophobic, sexist, transphobic people can flourish, but you decided to express your hate to San Francisco? When the Coast/Bay Area of California is dominated by racial minorities? There are literally states where police officers and deputies are known members of the KKK and still hold their positions. It would seem to me that if I were going to be a vocal racist, or hateful person in general, I would move to the land of my people.

This reminds me of the kill all homosexuals bill that they are attempting to pass in California. I believe that the main who introduced it was from southern California of all places and I will be the first person to tell you that the gays are out of control here. You picked the wrong zip code. It's not safe for you here.

3. LiquidSwords

Just imagine being black in a country where the police are as institutionally racist as in the US :confused: and they have guns :confused:

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. CyclingFan

You know, it's funny about San Francisco, given its reputation and the diversity of the populace, but there's still a strong conservative, authoritarian bent in several of the institutions.

There are still people there who are upset about how much of the 60s and 70s happened there. Sadly, sfpd is a bit notorious, and sadly, this surprises me not at all. Except that they only found 7.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If someone comes in here and says they shouldn't be facing disciplinary action for this, then I clearly identify you as someone everyone else needs to be protected from.

7. candyjiru

Wow... I am continually amazed at the racism in the world... *sigh* I'm glad people are doing something about it...

There's this mentality a lot of people have that racism is fine when shared amongst friends and not in the open and it sickens me... one of my family members was watching some news report about an African-American rapper and said, "I liked it better when black people were slaves... now they're too conceited." When I said, "That's super effing racist!" Another family member told me, "It's fine~ she's among family~" It's shit like that that makes me glad when scum like this are taken down.

8. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If racism is still very much alive in USA, how long til homophobia dies out? I mean, it's been a long time since Martin Luther King Jr. gave that wonderful speech about having a dream. I can't believe that some Americans still can't understand when to shut their holes.

9. Gen

Gen

Absolutely, there will be bitter and hateful people everywhere. It would just seem to me that if you wanted to be blatantly racist without it putting a dent in your career then you wouldn't choose to live in certain areas. If you wanted to pass anti-LGBTQ legislation, then you wouldn't start with the state that holds some of the most LGBTQ-centric cities in the country. It is no different than the people who are fired for posting slurs and hate speech on social media. You know that people are going to flood your accounts and find your information. You know that they are going to make an effort to spread you face and get your fired. The idea that there are certain areas where your words have consequences is not new.

All in all, I was not saying that I am surprised racist or homophobia people exist in liberal areas. I've personally experienced them many times. I am surprised that people are still stupid enough to think that they can post these things on the internet or use slurs against racial minorities in areas where racial minorities are hardly even minorities and no one is going to pay attention.