1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Fallout of Rolling Stone "gang rape story"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TENNYSON, Apr 6, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Virginia university fraternity says to sue Rolling Stone for defamation | Reuters

I thought this story was old, but I guess Rolling Stone only recently fully retracted the story. For those of you who don't know, it was a story about a gang rape that supposedly occurred at a UVA fraternity.

Inconsistencies and inaccuracies in the story were found and eventually it was determined the story was a hoax.

Is it right to ever question someone who alleges to be a rape victim? Rolling Stone cited "willingness to believe the victim" as part of why inaccuracies weren't spotted sooner. What kind of damage will this story do to rape victims and their stories?

2. 741852963

It's absolutely awful, and the same with the Duke Lacrosse story, I just feel so sorry for the poor guys involved - there is no way of getting completely over that and what is sickening is that even after they have been found completely innocent, there are vile feminist groups (I don't even think they deserve the feminist label) still protesting their guilt.

Disgusting. With the duke lacrosse case you actually had what can only be described as feminist lynchmobs waving banners calling for the falsely accused men to be mutilated as some twisted vision of vengeance. It is absolutely beyond belief that people behave like that in the 21st century, and it is why I am 100% behind calls for defendant anonymity until conviction in these cases.

3. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is a really difficult situation and unfortunately cases like this are the reason that rapes have such a low report and conviction rate. The incredibly small number of false accusation rape cases create such a negative impact and bring in to question any accusations in the future. Thanks to people like these, victims are just not believed.

I agree with anonymity and it should be for both defendant and victim. I find it horrific when a victims life is torn apart by the media in the same way as the defendant.