1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News David Cameron affirms the meaning of Easter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by QueerTransEnby, Apr 8, 2015.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Church of England is a state church, so he can factually state that. It's not like there's a legitimate comparison between Britain and the US. Not that I don't support republicanism and a subsequent split between the CoE and the British state.

That article is really cringeworthy.

3. LiquidSwords

In what way is he defying Obama?

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is this for kind of site? Beginning with "When a world leader makes a video to wish his citizens a happy Easter and declares that his is a Christian country, you can be fairly certain that it’s not Barack Obama.", then if you click on Barack Obama, you go to a page in that website stating "Here’s What You Get When You Rearrange the Letters in “President Barack Hussein Obama”".

Such bias. And then this: "And for all of us, it's a time to reflect on the part that Christianity plays in our national life."

That's nice, excluding so many people that don't feel Christianity is important in their national life.

I agree with Aussie792, the article definitely is cringeworthy in my opinion.

I have no idea really..

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The piece is implying that Obama is a Muslim, and does not respect Christianity. The defiance here is from acknowledging Easter, as a Christian holiday, and in regard to Obama's "less-than-loving expressions" remark about Christians. While not confirmed, it is suspected he is referring to that nonsense in Indiana, a.k.a. the "less-than-loving" Christians.

The thing is, Easter is actually a-- no, I'll just leave it there.

6. lukeluvznicki13

All I can say is: Those dang Tories...

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. AlamoCity

Isn't the word "Easter" in relation to a pagan goddess? The Christian holiday is more appropriately called Pascha (for Passover). It's actually quite interesting how much of Christian tradition is actually rooted to a degree in paganism. Of course, one can say that God knew it was hard for pagans to become Christian "cold turkey" and repackaged pagan traditions and holidays into Christian ones as a way to wean them off of their pagan traditions without feeling a longing for the old traditions; sort of a nicotine patch for the pagans of yesteryear, a patch that has left it's markings on present-day Christians even if disconnected from the meanings of the traditions of yesteryear.

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, so the same as with the Bible itself, which contains stories found in religions before it? =)) The same can be told about other holidays from various religions. =)) A flawed argument I'd say.

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easter is a Christian holiday? And here they had me convinced that we were worshiping some odd fusion of the pagan goddess Eostre and Capitalism, what with the mass-produced rabbit-related candy and all...

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That isn't bunny, damn it!

LOL! <3

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I get what Cameron is saying, and in England, the religion is tied in with the state, unlike in the U.S.

But that article is horribly written in its implication that "Obammy is a Muzzie". We don't have a state church in the U.S. and we never will.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny thing is, religion is almost an irrelevance in the UK, and plays no major part in everyday life. Most people who celebrate Easter and Christmas do so in a secular fashion. The Church of England is out-of-touch and not very important.

14. LiquidSwords

Right.. I mean that is all ridiculous, but I still don't really see how DC is being defiant to Obama here :confused:

Oh never mind why am I wasting time with this article :lol:

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

*scratches head* You mean people outside the US don't actually center their entire lives around what people in the US are thinking or doing? :0

16. Foz

Foz Guest

See us tories aren't so bad! The leader of the Scottish Conservatives is a lesbian too.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All I was posting was about Cameron. My intent was not to slight Obama, nor compare the US to the UK. I just find David refreshing and hope he wins May 7th. I watched the debate from last week and was impressed just as I am during Prime Minister's questions. Yes, I am an American that cares about what goes on in the UK.

I don't want a state church here. I just liked his tone and the message of Jesus. I posted this for the video not so much the article.

#17 QueerTransEnby, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  18. Foz

Foz Guest

I have a ring here waiting for you!(*hug*)

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL. I am surprised that you would not like the SNP given you are a Scot, but I realize that they probably support independence. I don't blame most of you for voting that down. Who wants to be on their own in today's political climate with the EU wanting to get involved in everyone's business?

In all seriousness, the UK would be my first stop across the pond. I think the cultural differences are amazing from place to place.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's interesting that David Cameron should make these comments because over the last 35 years there has been a great deal of tension between the national church (Church of England/Anglican) and the national government, most especially Conservative governments. The Church of England seems to view many Conservative Party policies as harsh and uncaring; contrary to Christian principles.

Mrs Thatcher's decision to abandon the post war consensus and pursue a harder, right wing agenda set the two national institutions on a collision course that remains to this day. In the early 80's the church attacked the Conservative government for treating working people and the poor like scum and Thatcher's pronouncement that "there is no such thing as society" widened the fault lines.

The Church of England's latest intervention was not well received by the Conservative Party either, as the Bishops appeared to encourage the laity to consider social issues as a priority when casting their vote. Many Tory MP's felt the Church was 'meddling' again and encouraging people to vote for liberal/left wing policies.

Much as I disagree with the C of E's stance on issues concerning human sexuality, I am very sympathetic to their concerns about the neglect of poor and vulnerable people and what they see as social decay. Personally, I will consider the churches guidance when it comes to casting a vote on May 7th:
    https://www.churchofengland.org/med...oral-letter-on-the-2015-general-election.aspx