1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News OpEd: Bigotry, the Bible and the Lessons of Indiana

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kindy14, Apr 9, 2015.

1. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Something I don't think this writer understands...

WE ARE ALL SINNERS AND BROKEN as compared to God. We struggle everyday with taming our wilder impulses. But God loves us all anyway. He made each of us an individual, precious to him.

Peace and love are the message of Jesus. Not condemnation or damnation, that's Gods job. I am not here to judge anyone, I have enough trouble living my own life on a righteous path, how am I going to demand anyone live by my set of rules.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't spread the good news, that we can be saved in God's eyes if we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. I don't generally preach to anyone, but if religion comes up, I'm all for spreading the Word.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-same-sex-sinners.html?_r=0

2. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are living in the New Testament. That's the message I want to send. The Old Testament is fear... the NEw Testament is hope. I just wish a lot of people would live in the New Testament with me and get out of the Old Testament.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since the Bible itself says that the Old Testament still applies, it's logical that people adhere to its bits too. So yes, in that sense, the quote is right. The Bible makes homophobia justifiable.

If people knew more about religions before Christianity and actually read the Bible, there would be less religious people (and thus less bigots too). =)

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amen!

5. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you as well. But for how many years have people totally butchered Leviticus in the Bible? They just pick and choose which passages to bombard us with totally ignoring the fact they are also guilty of breaking the other rules in Leviticus. I got my Bible so I can defend myself.

And for the Anti-Gay Religious Extremists out there... remember Exodus 21: 23-25. Come after me, and I will come back. If the Old Testament still applies to them it applies to me. I am all for the New Testament stuff... but don't expect me to be with the Matthew 5:38-39 group. I won't allow such Social and Biblical Exploitation.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely, you are right about them breaking other laws too. But it is in the Bible, and it does (sadly enough) make homophobia for quite some people justifiable that way. That being said, most people are picking and choosing. That's in my opinion no good. A book that's suposedly being perfect (or insert any other positive word) shouldn't be used like that, right? But yet it does, because there are contradictions and there are things that are vague too. =) But I won't reply anymore here, this thread shouldn't turn into me debating the Bible. :lol:

7. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand that. But I like the debates. Maybe next time. :smilewave

8. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that this idea that homosexuality and religion are in fierce collision and should be is false. But that's how many people view it. Religion is the last refuge of homophobia, the main homophobic forces in the world are religious, so it makes sense that homosexuality and religion are at odds. It's just too bad because it doesn't have to be that way. But good luck getting more people to see that.

9. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)"

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)"

There are many more passages like this, which we choose to ignore (probably because they are completely ridiculous and cruel), but we cannot ignore a few lines about homosexuality?

It's perfectly fine to have a negative opinion on the LGBT+ community based on religion (though, it would be preferable if that were not the case), but when you use that opinion as an excuse to ruin other's lives, it becomes a problem.

By all means, you don't have to agree with same-sex marriage etc, but that doesn't mean you are allowed to hate and disrespect people who do agree with it, or are part of the LGBT+ community.

"Hate the sin, not the sinner"

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone"

(Homosexuality is not a sin, but some people insist on seeing it that way, and those people would do well to take the previous quotes into consideration)

You can be against Homosexuality and have gay friends, in the same way you can be against smoking and have friends who smoke.

Their sexuality does not affect you, and your religion should not affect them and/or the way you see them as a person.

Acceptance, kindness and love for fellow humans is more important than a few lines that justify your homophobia.

#9 ForNarnia, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

According to some, we as Christians aren't bound by the Old Testament...

And what is the greatest commandment in the New Testament?

http://biblia.com/bible/niv/1 John 4.20-21

You don't spew hateful things at someone you are supposed to love.
    You don't do physical, verbal, sexual, or mental abuse to someone you are supposed to love.

This is what you should remind Christians of all denominations.

Oh, and I thought discussion of the topic was allowed. As long as things don't get shouty and disrespectful, I'm all for a good debate. I can play devils advocate to often though. I've got experience, knowledge, and a very classic liberal college education (ie before "studies" became the rage and we learned the skills we needed for jobs) I pretty much had a philosophy minor from all the courses I took.

#10 kindy14, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The rituals and rules found in the Old Testament were given to preserve the characteristics of religion and culture in ancient Israel. It was not intended that we (Christians) should be bound by the Jewish laws of Leviticus, indeed, the 22nd - 25th verses of Galatians 3 tell us so. If you are a Lesbian or Gay Christian there is something quite liberating in those three verses.

Regardless, the Bible is only a witness to the relationship between God and his people. It is not, and never will be the ultimate authority or final word. To elevate scripture to such a ridiculous position is blind idolatory and nothing more.

It's also worth noting that standards of Christian scholarship have become more entrenched over time. The literal standard that many churches and preachers apply today is in stark contrast to the multi-layered approach of many centuries past, when significance was also given to allegorical and symbolic meaning, moral message and analogy. It's only in more recent times that we have adopted this hysterical attitude and as a consequence standards of biblical literacy have plummed the depths.

In response to hatred and intolerance, LGBT Christians need to get wise. It's so easy to soak it up and think you are the worst human being walking (because your parents/pastor quote some ancient tradition at you), but don't be so naive. You don't have to accept their ignorance and abandon faith in God to be LGBT, nor do you have to commit yourself to a celibate life to overcome feelings of guilt and shame. There is another way and you need to be smart enough to take it.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, since you guys don't seem to mind my opinion much, I'll make a last post in the thread. :icon_bigg I didn't want to do that initially, because this is a news thread (and in my opinion, by voicing my thoughts, it can go too off-topic).
    ----

Personally, I don't agree with this at all. I never felt a struggle with "wild impulses". Perhaps I'm confusing what you mean by this, but for me there's no struggle that I know of for myself. So, since I don't experience those struggles, I can imagine that others feel the same way about it. Perhaps this also applies to the writer of the article.

Moreover, saying "we are all sinners and broken" isn't exactly a kind message to send, and I personally reject it. Why? I can say the same to you, for other religions. You're a sinner and you are broken, as compared god X. But he can save you. Subject yourself to him and you'll be saved. See what I did? It's not effective to say such a thing, and I highly doubt you'll reach many people with this message (except for those who are in the same religion and have the same views already).

Not something I call spreading the Word.

Yet people don't. It doesn't help that Jesus himself might be the reason for this. A quick search online reviews why people adhere to bits out of the Old Testament. The motivation comes right out of the Bible:

Matthew 5:17 - 19
    17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commandsc and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

It doesn't specifically say so in the Bible, and the fact that Jesus didn't say something "people, homosexuality is okay. It's natural." doesn't help much either.

However, that's not the point I want to make here. What's particularly frightening about this idea, is that these laws were ever okay for some. Yes, I find that to be a very frightening thought. The Bible states things about slavery, homosexuality... And the things it says should never ever even have been okay.

The statement "it's different times" or "it was a different culture" doesn't make it any nicer. You wouldn't expect those kind of things to be ever okay, especially since they are supposedly inspired by an all-loving god.

The fact those kind of things are in the Bible, whether they apply still or not, is not okay. That's my stance about it.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The voice of christians who support all gay rights needs to get louder in this country for change to really happen. Because some christians believe there is one kind of christian and that is simply false by all means. But I think the pro gay christian movement will get stronger as younger generations get older and more people take a closer look at the bible and what is really right or wrong.

14. Aquilo

I'm sort of ok (freedom of thought after all) with Christians, Muslims or any other religion thinking that homosexuality is sinful, and same-sex marriage shouldn't exists etc.

I'm not fine with those Christians or other religious persons actually:
    -Voting against same-sex marriage.
    -Discriminating against LGBT people.
    -Calling for violence against LGBT people.
    -Spreading anti-LGBT filthy laws to other countries.

Being religious shouldn't place you above the Law. And the Law should be equality for all.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. Even though I am a christian I don't think religion any religion has a place in government especially when there are so many religions out there along with different religious perspectives.

16. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
    Amen

17. DoriaN

Without getting deep into doctrine as I've done before, I just want to make these few short points.

Jesus/Yeshua is God.

He is the image of the eternal Father.

Jesus in the Old Testament, gave the 10 commandments and was in the burning bush, led Moses et cetera. Ate and talked to Abraham before the 2 angels went to Sodom and Gamorrah.

Jesus is God incarnate, and since no animals could pay for the price of sin, which is death, only an infinite God could pay the price of infinite sin; past present, and future. Thus he offered Himself up as a sacrifice, to pay the wage of our sins, and to undo the damage that was done in the Garden of Eden.

The only requirement to be saved from hell, leading to the lake of fire, is to believe in Jesus, that He is of God, the Son of God, and is God.

At the end when all are judged, Jesus will be the judge. Those who did not listen, or believe, or follow His teachings will all have to give a personal accounting for their deeds actions and words.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

"And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes."

"Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

Being a Christian is much simpler than others may have you believe, with their manmade rules and practices, that are vain and serve no purpose.

Genesis 1
    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

John 1
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

The parallels between the Old and New Testament are ongoing, God moved across the face of the waters, Jesus walked on water as a sign to the Jews. It's really cool imo.

18. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I've read the Bible says we aren't bound by the OT laws but then another place says the OT laws aren't abolished. It says only God can judge us and also says we have to correct people or we're guilty too. If you are healthy and happy you can say God blessed you but if you're struggling you can say it's a burden or test God has given you. Seems like you can find something in the Bible to support any position you want.

None of the verses used against GLB people are really about same sex relationships. For example the Leviticus verse, if they want to take it literally, then clearly it's not about gay men because a man doesn't have a vagina so they can't have sex as a man does with a woman. Then they'd say, oh it's not that literal. Well, there you go, it's either fully literal or maybe not if it doesn't mean what they want it to mean.

As for the "religious freedom" laws, those who support them are liars and hypocrites as usual. Liars because they say the laws are not meant to allow GLBT discrimination and it's just like the federal law. When it's amended to include GLBT protections they say that's no good because then it won't allow discrimination they wanted all along. If the law is just like the federal one, then why is this coming up now and not many years ago? The fact is it's not the same, they're coming up now because marriage equality is coming the the US very soon and they're liars.

They're hypocrites because the business owners who claim such sincere beliefs are fine selling to divorced people and other "sinners" getting married and even to gay people in general, but if the happy gay couple is getting married, oh no, can't help you now. Another repeated lie they use is that they would be "participating" in the wedding by selling a cake or whatever. Are they participating in the sex an unmarried couple has when a guy buys flowers for his girlfriend's birthday and they proceed to jump in the sack? Hypocrites and liars. That's who opposes us but we'll keep winning because cheaters, liars and swindlers never win in the end.

19. Ashleigh16

Good grief what are my conservatives trying to do? This is just plain ridiculous. As a conservative I can say I most definitely don't believe this way

20. CyclingFan

Perhaps you aren't as conservative as you thought you were?