1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dont Ask Don't Tell" might go under Obama

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LorenzG1950, Nov 18, 2008.

1. LorenzG1950

2. paloma

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its unbelievable that its lasted this long.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, this outdated policy needs to go!

4. MLCarr

If this happens, I'll have you know that I will be going into the Navy and working as a Nuclear Engineer. They've been trying to recruit me for years, I have always said no because I could not be open about my sexuality. If this passes, I'll be in!

5. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool! And good for you for saying no.

I still can't believe this policy is still in place in 2008, though. I mean disagreements over gay marriage I can kinda understand but, basically having to cover up your sexuality BY LAW seems so archaic.

6. Amy

Amy

Damn, my friends plan was to just say "Haha, I like penis!" and get a discharge. LOL

But, seriously, Don't Ask, Don't Tell is more outdated than Paragraph 175.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there/will there be any measures in place to protect LGBT peeps if it does go?

I'm not a supporter of it, but it does offer some protection for homosexuals in the army. It just makes me nervous to think that people could actually find out somebodys sexuality, act homophobic and have no policy in place to punish that person. I may just be unaware of an already existing policy or one that may be brought in to replace it though.

8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good for you!

And I find it funny that the Pentagon bitches about not enough people signing up, but then they have lame-ass policies like Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which deny plenty of capable people of doing the jobs that are needed to fill.

9. LoveIsBlind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its about time this stupid policy was thrown out!

10. Jesse Jinx

This is awesome! This is one of the stupidest policy ever. I can understand how it used to be useful, but I think we're moving past that time. And don't ask don't tell can be the first to go.

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Finally.

And I've been reading a few comments to the tune of "No way do I want some queer sharing my showers and sleeping next to me". Except that those gay soldiers would be fully aware that you're straight and would most likely never make any sort of advances on you. I have plenty of straight female friends, even though I know they're attracted to males and might even try *gasp* flirting with me! Except I know that they understand my sexuality and have too much respect (for me and themselves) to hit on someone they know will not return the favor. If you're that uncomfortable with sharing your space with homosexuals, it's not them who have the issue.

12. starfish

While I would like to see this policy go, gay rights in the military is a bit of a sticky wicket.

Most military folks I have met are very conservative. While this is an issue that needs to be fixed I hope Obama does not tackle it right off the bat. That is the mistake that Clinton made and how we ended up with don't ask don't tell. Honestly I am not sure of the correct course of action, but it needs to be careful and deliberate. One thing is for sure if we start down this path we must see if through to the end. Don't ask don't tell in my opinion was a cop out to fulfill a campaign promise.

Someone once told me that we should not have gays in the military because they would not shoot the enemy because they are sexually attracted to them. While I have never been in combat something tells me it does not matter how hot the other guy is. If he is trying to kill you. You're going to return the favor.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh please. Are straight guys attracted to every single woman they meet? Hardly. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean they're going to wimp out and not defend themselves even if they did find the enemy attractive. I don't have any military experience, but if I had to guess, you're not going to be looking at the enemy long enough to fantasize about them before you kill them anyway.

14. No One

OMG that is so great now maybe i will be able to join the air force when im older and be openly gay lol

15. sdc91

Ehhhhhhhh then I can be drafted. :/

16. Alexander

17. Nodnarb

Good news.

70% of the country opposes DADT, so it's about time it goes.

18. Zak

Zak

Haha, i doubt we'll have another draft. If we do, its because we are getting our asses handed to us in the Middle East. lol (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

19. starfish

Yeah I know, it took everything I had to keep from laughing at that person. Honesty I think it comes from the misconception that all gay men care about is sex. I really think most people don't realize that we are just like them. Only difference is the the person we go home to at the end of the day.

20. BeautifulStranger

I'm crying right now...
    I cannot tell you how happy this makes me.

This means Mike could be my Prom Date and he won't get discharged for it. He and I can live together and he won't get discharged for it.

This is one step closer to having all of my dreams come true.