1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes On 8 Charges Civil Rights Violations By Opponents

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ruthel, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Ruthel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #1 Ruthel, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ridiculous. I can't stand that mentality of "We flooded your polls from two states away and got away with it, so you should shut up and respect our ignorance". As if we're going to crawl back into our closets and be quiet about this.

3. Amy

Amy

At first I thought the title meant someone was trying to ban opposite-sex marriage.

Note to self: Write piece on banning opposite-sex marriage paroding Yes on 8.

Its fucking stupid. Not much else should be said.

4. starfish

The only wrong doing I saw in that article was the defacing and vandalism of the churches. Everything else is well with in everyones right.

Like was said in the article the patronage of a business is not a guaranteed right. Hell as a private citizen I am can choose not to patronize a business for any reason, even if that reason contains a suspect class. I am well within my right to say I won't shop in that store because they hired a insert whatever.

I would have to do some research to confirm this, but I don't believe that a person can violate another persons civil rights. Civil rights are rights granted by the state protect a person from the state, so only the state can violate them.

5. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's such crap. Like OUR civil rights weren't violated when they voted for that homophobic proposition?

I do agree that people shouldn't be vandalizing churches though.

6. gutsrie

ha! those Prop 8 supporters are so full of crap.

7. VomAnderenUfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Civil rights are granted and protected by the state, so yes, the whiney prohaters' argument is wrong from the start. Some members of the community acted badly (presumably, anybody could have defaced those churches and mailed that powder, even prohaters who seek to make themselves look victimized). The only proven bad behavior of the community would be those protestors who had signs with misleading statements about the Mormon Church, as if the mainline church still promoted polygamy.

I think the main difference is that the majority of the community decry this sort of dirty protesting. The yes on 8 group, however, is all for discrimination being written into the constitution and denying a certain group of people civil rights.

8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What I find amusing is that usually when a company does something such as Google coming out publicly and mentioning that they are "No on Prop 8" people or when Ford has ads in a gay oriented magazine, the "family" organizations and the homophobic churches want all their followers to boycott products made by said companies. But now when gay people realize where a significant number of the yes campaign's funds came from, many gays want to do the same thing to them, and now they want to get pissy and whine "intolerance!" Um, Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

9. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

these people are fucking stupid.